To be, or just too freaking lazy

While not your typical Grammar Nazi, I find the following to be irritating.

I will get notes from staff saying that something or other “needs finished” or “needs done” (instead of “needs to be finished/needs to be done”).

I just sent back a proposed procedure manual revision featuring glaring examples of this, with corrections.

Mrs. J. thinks it’s a Pittsburghism that has crept west into Ohio.

It needs stop.

Agreed.

You mean “needs stopped.” :wink:

Wouldn’t that be “It needs stopped”?

And agreed.

Would you be happier with ‘needs finishing’?

I agree that ‘needs finished’, ‘needs washed’, etc, needs eradicated. :slight_smile:

I’ve only ever heard of this usage right here on the Dope. Seems it hasn’t slimed into corporate Australia yet, thank Og.

I’d never heard it until I started dating an Ohioan. It was…really odd at first. And it took me a little while to get the usage correct. But now, I find it kind of endearing, and I occasionally do it myself.

I classify it as “mostly harmless.”

You’re on the list. :cool:

It think it may be a Pennsylvania regionalism. It isn’t uncommon where I am and I confess that I have been guilty of using the idiom a time or two. (I remember a young man from Canada making fun of me in the mid 90s for it when I was consulting.)

It is very common in rural Illinois, and it makes me want to cover my ears and scream.

It is a part of Pittsburghese. As long as the meaning is clear, I couldn’t care less.

Previous thread on topic http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=536336 (needs read) :wink:

You never can tell what needs searched.

You no care none if sentinces like this be coming up in technical procedure manuals 'cuz you know what I mean ?

Eww that’s awful. Especially written.

Clearly we need a stronger barrier between OH and PA, to keep these Pittsburghisms from infecting our language.

(The existing barrier needs strengthened.)

No, it “needs stopped” :rolleyes: :p.

It actually made its way east to Harrisburg, too; I grew up using that phrasing as well.

Of course, I grew up thinking the third letter of our nation’s capital was ‘R’, also. I got over both of these “rate away” once I hit high school.