To dry clean or not to dry clean?

I just purchased two new pairs of men’s slacks. Flat front in case anyone’s wondering. :smiley:

Anyway, I bought each pair from different store but they are both virtually the same cut and weave. Both Poly/Cotton blends in roughly 30/70 proportion. The fabric has virtually identical hand with the colours being the only real difference.

Here’s the thing.

One says “Dry Clean Only” the other, “Wash in cold water. Tumble dry cool. Dry Cleaning NOT RECOMMENDED.”
So why the difference in care for what are essentially identical fabrics?

having worked for an insurance company, I’ve been told that many clothing manufacturers put “Dry Clean Only” tags on their clothing to avoid liability if you ruined your clothes by washing them improperly. (if the dry cleaners screw up, it’s their (the dry cleaner’s) liability.

the only thing I can think of why dry cleaning wouldn’t be recommended is that if the chemicals used would react with the dyes …

I try not to buy anything that says dry clean only, but if I do, I’ll often decide to give it a trial run through the wash. It usually survives. But I’ll hang it to dry. I’ve lost far more garments to the dryer than the washer.

Pixsis is spot on about garment care labels. I’ve only had one snafu with washing a dry clean only skirt. It was made of some fabric that shrank up into a ball of wrinkles and was a bear to iron out again. See if there’s a seam or something where you can test with a bit of water.

I dry clean only one mohair sweater because it would pill and gnarl up into something resembling roadkill. Everything else gets a super cool ride at Washing Machine Land.

Yeah, most wool and cashmeres are a no-no in the wash. That much I’m certain of. Fuck it. I’m washing the m-fers. Tags be damned. :slight_smile:

I can see it now! **QuickSilver ** grasps his new pants firmly and strides confidently toward the washing machine. Will our hero save the day? Tune in next time…

Sometime pants of that description have a “coating” on them to keep them looking fresh and crisp - drycleaning can remove that “coating”.

Sometimes it’s not the main fabric of the garment that makes it require (or require avoiding) dry cleaning. A garment can have linings, interfacings, etc., with their own care requirements. Ideally, a manufacturer will choose elements that have the same care requirements as the main fabric. But sometimes they don’t.

And you don’t know if the fabrics are actually similar. They may seem similar to you, a lay person, but they might be quite different in terms of the way they were manufactured. And there are massive differences between different types of “wool” and “poly.”

For all those who stayed up all night, filled with anticipation…

The pants are washed and dried. Both pair. Don’t say it, I know. I’m contravercial. :stuck_out_tongue:
The ‘dry clean only’ pair came out even better (less wrinkled). I’m wearing them right now and they are soft and fitting like a glove. I’m stylin’. :cool:

It’s the little things in life…

Phew. I’m going to bed. :slight_smile:

Preach it about the linings being different and wrecking havoc. I had a pair of slacks that said “Dry clean only,” but didn’t heed the warning. In the end, the pant material did fine, but the lining shrank up. They were completely ruined.