Tobytown, MD

Earlier this evening I found the following on the web:

"A few miles northwest of Washington DC is a tiny hamlet known as Tobytown. You won’t find it on most maps, but long-time residents know where it is, hard by the Potomac, founded by slaves who swam across the river to escape from the Confederacy. Its not much to look at. Just a collection of ramshackle wood and tar paper dwellings stuck in a grove of trees. Over time it become surrounded to $2 and $3 million homes to some of Washington’s elite and powerful: high powered attorneys, lobbyists, the occasional Senator or Congressman. The sight of Tobytown out their back windows, from their pools, or tennis courts was somewhat discomforting. So a few years ago these magnanimous residents took up a collection to build…

a ten foot high fence surrounding"

This sounds preposterous, but not too preposterous, if you know what I mean. Anybody know enough to confirm/debunk this story?

I found a Land Use and Zoning Plan (note: that’s a direct link to the pdf file) on the Montgomery County (MD) Planning Board website. One section deals with Tobytown and has this to say:

You can also see a map of Tobytown on their site.

It certainly sounds like an Urban Legend to me.

I’m not sure why my first link didn’t work properly. I’ll try again to link to the pdf file.

Thanks JeffB, I really appreciate it. Some of the things one can find on the net…

I still think the question is open about a fence being around the community though. Hopefully there are some Dopers who live in the area and can tell me.

Thanks JeffB, I really appreciate it. Some of the things one can find on the net…

I think the question is still open about a fence being around the community, though. Hopefully there are some Dopers who live in the area and can tell me.

I’ve been there. It’s real, but not as bad as described. I don’t recall a fence, but it was night, so there may have been one. It’s not a “collection of ramshackle wood and tar paper dwellings stuck in a grove of trees”. As I recall, it was just a few sorta low-end houses that you might see anywhere in poorer sections of the suburbs. Still, it’s kind of odd, given the location.

I live right near there, about two miles away, and I can do a drive-by with my camera if the thread is so inclined for me to do so.

Wow, Tobytown got a M.D.!? He didn’t even invite me to his graduation from med school. That bastard. :smiley: