Today I start as a volunteer firefighter

Should be interesting. I worked as an EMT back when rocks were still soft (88-91). Went to the local city college fire academy in 1993. Applied and tested at many departments back then but never made the cut.

Now that I am semi- retired and have little else to do other than putter around the property, figured I would do something useful. interviewed and was accepted!

Much as was mentioned in a previous thread, we are sorta paid. Its a point system based on level of participation. Supposedly averages about $200-300/mo.

If we do over a certain number of hours/calls we also qualify for a pension program. Im 53 so i dont expect to e doing this for long enough to build a meaningful pension, but every little bit helps.

Curious as to what the scope of a volunteer firefighter is, if you don’t mind me asking? Do you actually plunge yourself in the flaming infernos to rescue puppies? Or do the young guys do that and you just drive/operate the trucks? Or… something else?

Oh how interesting, @drachillix . Yes I’m curious as to what tasks you might be performing. I recently retired and on the surface of things, this sounds interesting.

Wonderful. This is the sort of civic participation that makes society stronger. Good for you.

good for you, but if there’s one thing that the narrative determinism of this world dictates, it is that on both your first day and last day on such a job there will be a catastrophe.

Here’s to a boring day!

There is really just one question: Do they have a Dalmatian?

If not, new guy must bring the pup.

mmm

Oh damn…you said the “B word”…

You know that word can pull airliners out of the sky don’t you…

-Prepares for it to land on my house-

This department has 3 primary categories of volunteer

Combat firefighter: plunges into inferno to save puppies. There are additional physical fitness/health criteria to have this status as SCBA use is part of the job.

Support Firefighter(me): mostly apparatus operators and extra hands. Less stringent physical requirements. We still operate hose lines, help cut up cars, provide first aid, search/rescue tasks, etc. Stuff where situations do not dictate breathing apparatus. There is plenty to do on a fire scene that does not involve going into a burning building.

EMS(also me): Ambulance crews. There are no private ambulance companies in the county, so all ambulances are run by the FD. I will actually be going through EMT class again in Jan as I have not been certified in about 25 years.

Status in such roles is kinda fluid. You can be all, some, or one. There are about 40 volunteers

My brother worked as a volunteer FD responder. He was able to get EMT training as part of it. He finally quit after responding to a horrifying car crash in which five teens were killed.

That’s awesome, drachillix! How very noble of you!

I’ve developed a close relationship with my city’s FD. Greatest people around - and even better when you’re a volunteer.

Yeah, it happens. I have seen my share of messy scenes in my EMT days so I don’t think I’m going to be bowing out over anything like that.

Even here in a big city with a professional, paid Fire Department, nearly 2/3rds of the calls are suspected medical emergencies, not flaming infernos. I’d expect out in a rural area, with fewer hospitals & ambulances, that would be even more so.

Back when I worked as a newspaper reporter, the firefighters were hands down my favorite folks to talk to. Great guys (and it was all guys back then), and I admired them even more because I am 100% useless in an emergency. My mind just goes blank.

Thanks man! Pretty cool.