Today is National Coming Out Day, and I feel enormously homosexual.

Heh, I didn’t even know it was NCOD but I celebrated it anyway. Visiting home, and I accidentally on-purpose came out to some of my former co-workers, when one asked me if I had a new boyfriend in the new town. “No,” I said, “but I do have a new girlfriend.” It was a classic moment, sure to live in infamy for weeks.

Most of my family doesn’t know that I’m bi. I mean, it’s bad enough being a Wiccan in a staunchly Southern Baptist family. My good friends know, however.

Some things that I wish would happen…

1. Other girls stop pretending to be bi when trying to pick up guys. I hit on them and get rejected… “Oh, I’m not really into other girls…” Fuck off. ><

2. People would get the notion out of their head that bisexual means “seeking a threesome.” I did that a bit in my younger days, but I’m sorta looking for a monogamous relationship now. Only difference between me and a completely hetero or homosexual person is that to me, the gender doesn’t matter.

3. That I could tell my family without becoming more of a black sheep than I already am.

. . .or that bi = promiscuous.

Amen to that, Exploding Kitchen!!!

Kudos, andygirl. Isn’t it a great feeling?

I came out as a dyke only last month. It began when I came out to myself and that process is still ongoing as I find out more about what it’s like. I’d had lesbian sex but it took a while for me to actually own a lesbian identity, which is what coming out meant to me. I am much happier this way. My coming-out story has already occasioned one and a half Great Debates. Yeah, I really should have put it here in MPSIMS, but WTF.

I think I’ve become one of those suburban white-tennis-shoe-wearing lesbians I used to scorn when I was a student. I didn’t even know it was national coming out day! :smack:

I came out when I was a student, so I guess that would be 14 years ago… or thereabouts. How time flies when you’re out having fun :wink:

Max.

I was rather gratified to learn that a local high school is trying to start a gay-straight alliance. This is the same high school that is struggling with a perceived racism problem, so it’s extra-nice to see students who truly give a damn about their peers.

Robin

I suspect I’ve been out longer than any of you’ve been alive. :slight_smile:

I first read that as “I’ve been out longer than I’ve been alive.”

At Cajun Man’s Mama’s Doctor visit:
“Congratulations, Mrs. Man! The baby you’re carrying is gay!”

“A debutante in Birmingham/ long white dress and a summer tan/ I came out, but not the way dad planned…” -Daddy’s Little Girl, The Nields

supervenusfreak, I could use a soulmate. Anyone knows some Very Nice Girls in Boulder, let me know, since I’m trying to find someone who I get along with AND has no Web of Sketch connection with my lesbian roomie, a bit of a daunting task.

I have been out for a very, very long time…and my SO and I will be celebrating our 25th this February and hoping to take a first-time visit to Hawaii.

Other than the occasional random “fag” yell when walking down Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood, I can’t think of any real problems with being out over the years. Never a problem at any of my jobs, never a problem with neighbors. The family, cousins and all, have all gotten over it ages ago and talk about my SO the same as they talk about other family member spouses.

Actually, it is only the religious bigots and the US Government that seem to have a problem with me being Gay. And to both of them, a hearty fuckyouverymuch!
I am quite happy to party with the out-crowd today!

I have often said that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, please let me be Gay again!

Hehehe. I know how that goes. I got very lucky here when I met Jayjay. He is the best damn thing to ever happen to me. If I find any nice girls in your area, will send them your way…

Have found pretty much the same thing here too. Coming out was such a relief for me. No more lies. No more fear. If someone cannot deal with it, that is their problem and not mine. I heartily agree with you when it comes to dealing with the government and the religious bigots. One on one, they aren’t much, but when they all get together, that’s when the b******t starts to fly.

BTW. A hearty early Happy Anniversary to you and your SO… :smiley: