Today's (3-17-24) NYT Crossword

I don’t understand the theme of today’s puzzle. Or at least the clue that describes the theme. I’m not seeing what they mean. Please spoiler your reply if you know the answer.

I haven’t done the puzzle, but I usually go to New York Times’ “Wordplay” column when I don’t know what is going on. Here’s the one for today:

Cool, thanks!

Oh good, it wasn’t just me. I couldn’t figure it out either.

The article pulykamell pointed me to answers the question. It’s a tricky one for sure.

I usually read Rex Parker’s take on each NYT Sunday puzzle.

This is part of what he said about “All Over the Map”:

Click the link for a much more detailed discussion, including readers’ remarks.

mmm

“Totally self-indulgent” is correct.

I thought it was very well done

There’s also the “Diary of a Crossword Fiend” blog.

Yeah, I also use Rex’s blog for entertainment but the reason I hit up the Wordplay column first when I’m confused is because it has insights from the actual constructor. It’s as “from the horse’s mouth” as you can get.

Well, I have not solved this one yet, it arrives in my local paper two weeks later than when it appears in the NYT.

I’ve considered subscribing to the Times just for the crosswords, but dang, it’s not cheap.

(and I don’t care for solving them on a screen, I’m an ink & paper guy)

mmm

You can print them.

I liked it, at least once I figured it out. It reminded me a bit of the one from election day 1996.

Yeah, that one was one of thre greatest puzzles ever.

They run specials where you can get an all-access digital subscription for a few dollars a month. It includes recipes and games. I just re-upped 3 weeks ago for, I think, $4 a month. Call on the phone and ask for it.

You can print them out.

I thought today’s puzzle was pretty brilliant.

Hmm, that hadn’t occurred to me.

mmm

ETA: I just checked and it’s $1 a week for 52 weeks. I am currently paying $3.50 / week for Sunday-only delivery of my local paper (and the NYT crossword is the only part of it I use).

Seems like a no-brainer. Do any of you print the crossword from a digital-only subscription? Any problems with its appearance, etc.?

mmm

Funny, I just filled in all the spaces without thinking about the theme. It wasn’t until after The San Jose Strut played that I noticed the goofy reveal. It’s a bit odd the ‘rebus’ fill-ins for those four squares wasn’t required. Clever, though.

I didn’t understand it until I read the explanation, but I still think it was clever boots.

It’s not required that you enter the entire rebus in the square; entering only the first letter is sufficient, though entering the whole word may help you in reading the puzzle.