Today's Headlights (Not the Typical Complaint)

I just bought a 2024 Honda CR-V. The test drive was great. Overall, the car is great with minor nuiances I’ll have to get used to. But, then we took it on our first long trip. I quickly learned these narrow “low profile” headlights put out a narrow beam that does not light up the road the way it should, The beam is too “straight-ahead” and not very broad or diffuse. Signs on the left or right are illuminated briefly, usually too close to the sign which you need to read with more advanced timing, Overhead highway signs that rely stricty on reflection are lost in darkness. Maybe if you hit them just right for a blink at highway speeds, you might have a fighting chance. Anyway, is this JUST Honda, or do others with new (or newer) cars experience this? This is BS for the amount of hard-earned money I paid! :angry: (Do today’s headlights get aligned anymore?)

I have a similar complaint about headlights producing a 6-inch tall, 5 foot wide beam that illuminates only the pavement ahead. My vehicle does this and it drives me batty.

In addition, there exists a small subset of pickup owners who use them to haul things. And this problem is even worse for that group. My truck is set up for proper illumination angle only when empty. Adding a thousand (or more) pounds sends these narrow-beam headlights into the sky and/or other drivers’ eyes.

So, for those of us willing to invest a few grand to add auto-leveling airbags* to the rear, things are golden - right? Not so fast. My insurance agent tells me there’s increasing talk of cancelling insurance on “lifted” trucks. In some cases this may be defined as “any modification of suspension from original”. So, correcting this safety issue with my own funds might actually get me cancelled at some point. This hasn’t happened yet that I’m aware, but he says the companies are looking at this as a cost savings, since the Bubba and Chester types who cherish these ridiculous vehicles are also the largest risk of excessive speed and DUIs. Who woulda guessed?

[Insert Grandpa-Simpson rant here]

*Just for leveling – not lifted, nor exceeding any weight specs.

Our new car has BRIGHT headlights that illuminate far out, and to the sides. They are much, much better than our dim, yellow headlights on our previous 2012 Subaru. When we first got the car, after our first highway drive at night I noticed several cars blinking their lights at us. I did a little reading and learned how to adjust the beams down (I believe the dealer was supposed to do this but I think they neglected that step) and since, no more brights getting flashed at us.

I rented a 2023 Toyota Highlander in Boise last fall. The headlights were terrible, like the OP, nothing higher than the hood of the vehicle was illuminated. This was made worse while driving on a dark country road. There was just enough traffic I couldn’t drive with the high beams on. I almost drove through 2 stop signs, nothing illuminated on the signs till I was only a few yards from the intersection. After the second time I found the vehicle was equipped with driving/fog lights. I turned those on and it made a world of difference.

I have a 2023 Hyundai Santa Cruz and the high beams automatically dim with oncoming traffic or when a vehicle is detected ahead. My husband’s 2021 Ram 1500 does the same thing.

Last year we replaced our 2002 Subaru Outback with a new 2023 Subaru Forester and our experience matches yours. The new lights illuminate much brighter, farther out, and to the sides. Eleven months in I’ve had exactly one car blink at me.

I’m also satisfied with my Subaru (a 2024 Impreza) headlights. They have an auto on-and-off control for brights that is great on our dark roads: they come on automatically, then switch down if a car is oncoming, then switch back to bright when there are no oncoming cars. It was a little disconcerting to give up control at first, but now I love it.

I’ve given up blinking at oncoming cars that have their brights on. There are just too many of them (or maybe they are just too bright normal lights, or poorly aimed).

What I really hate is people who come up behind me with their brights on, and blind me in the mirror. My rearview is, I think, supposed to deal with that automatically, but it doesn’t seem to.