Today's xkcd (Height)

Because of the effects of the Earth’s orbit, and the orbits of those two planets, there’s often a huge variation in distance between Earth and Venus, and between Earth and Mars.

Balance, I’m sorry I missed your explanation of the same point I just made. In my defense I can only say that the Dope is going so slowly for me, that your explanation wasn’t there when I started writing my response.

I like the fact that he continued the log effect down to the grass, which looks huge.

I bet that cat lands on its feet…

Eris & Discordia are the Greek & Latin names for the Goddess of Chaos, sister of Ares/Mars, mother of Emperor Norton, and patroness of Hagbard Celine.

I missed the reference to Contact. I simply thought it was a bit of a rebuttal to all the nit-pickers and naysayers who keep pointing out that Neil Armstrong flubbed his famous line.

Okay, in what context in ‘Contact’ was somebody saying to send a poet to space, and why?? I’m curious now.

When Jody Foster’s character was whizzing around the wurmhole expressway, she stopped and saw something that moved her to tears and expressed how the world governments should have sent a poet to better describe what she saw and experienced.