TomnDeb (minor point, no vitriol)

How is one supposed to debate Christianity without debating about Christians, unless one accepts that there really is some floating belief system out there which was not created by men for their own purposes? It seems hardly fair to say that anyone who rejects Christianity as true must be “implying” an insult to posters here, and then pretend there’s any kind of open debate going on.

[Quote=Frank
Really? Did they stab you in the hand?[/quote]

What is all this? Is there a link? Do I want to know?

I reject your opinion as true.

I reject your opinion as true, because of your laughably tiny brain.

I reject your opinion as true, because your argument doesn’t actually address what Der Trihs said. People aren’t complaining about his disagreement with Chrisitanity. They’re complaining about his comparing Christianity to a disease, and the poster to a disease-ridden tool.

See the difference? IOW, people aren’t Pitting me because I don’t accept Christianity as true. Or you. Or countless other athiest or theist Dopers. It’s not the disagreement that’s Pitworthy, it’s the method of doing so.

Here is Liberal:

(my bolding)
2 pages later:

That’s the most recent kerfuffle. Liberal seems to think he was told not to use it because it was a pejorative but I think Tuba’s reasoning was that it seems to perpetuate a complete falsehood. Liberal should change strategies and complain about double standards whenever Gore-inventing-the-internet gets a free pass. :wink:

As has already been mentioned, Der Trihs is on the wrong side of this pitting. The venom he spits out with nearly every post doesn’t even startle me anymore. For him to have that kind of fanatic hatred against religion, you’d think god must have fucked his mother or killed his dog.

We have post after post in thread after thread in which posters assert that belief is irrational, stupid, harmful, delusional, and a host of other descriptions for which no one is admonished. Suddenly, when I tell one poster, (who has posted the preceding stuff on hundreds of occasions without official reaction*), that it is not appropriate to claim that another poster is spreading disease and that said poster has already had his mind destroyed, I’m interfering with legitimate discussion?

When you get to college, I seriously urge you to take a good course in logic.
Just to throw out an anecdotal defense against claims that I have a general problem being fair, did you happen to notice that the person admonished in the following incident was one who was (mostly) on “my side” of the argument?

I suppose that it might be possible that a tally of all admonitions and Warnings might show that more atheists than theists and more rabid left wingers than rabid right wingers have incurred my unwanted attention. (I don’t actually know; I don’t keep a tally.) However, there are simply more atheists than theists and more rabid left than rabids right posters in Great Debates and if hostility is spread rather evenly across the ideologies, the folks with the most players will probably provoke the most attention.

*(Of course, based on some of my e-mail, it seems that the most rabid <name a position> all are fully convinced that not only am I favoring the other guys, but that no one on their side is even capable of inappropriate behavior.)

Oh baloney. You just saw at least 2 atheists tell another atheist to shut the fuck up about rabid atheism in this very thread.

We all know who the crazies are. It’s everyone on the other side, and two or three on ours. Of course the ones on our side are just plants from the other side to make our position seem silly, though.

And I would not describe any of them as the “most rabid.” I certainly have not gotten any e-mails from them complaining about slanted and abusive behavior from the staff.

Regardless which “group” we’re discussing, each group contains a fairly small but very loud faction.

Trihs deserved it for being too dumb to use phrasing that was more subtle yet just as pointed. I get away with worse stuff than that all the time, but it sneaks by because it’s not so blatant and crude.

And I’m an atheist whose never experienced that which Lenin’s Tomb dreamed up during his last paranoid schizophrenia episode. Up the Thorazine, bub.

Agree. I have no idea how he hasn’t been banned.

Bryan, you get away with stuff because you are playful and have some perspective. You may think we are ridiculous, but you don’t seem to find us vile.

I know that Der Trihs thinks he’s on the left, and he is on many issues. But he’s too filled with denial of other people’s freedoms to be much of a leftist. And “extreme left”? I know that you have to be joking.

I have found Tom’s moderating to be as fair as anyone’s at the Board. Most of the atheists here are really cool people and I agree with them on many things. ( I wonder if Der Trihs has ever noticed.) Sometimes I think that Tom has overindulged those who are hell-bent on persecuting Christians. But it’s just no big deal to me.

I guess I’m having deja vu, but that post is so familiar to me. I’ve read one with almost the same sentiments exactly within the last year or so.

Slight hijack/Have any of you located “In God We Trust” on the new $1 “gold” coins?

Really? Try telling a gay on this board that homosexuality is a disease and all the rest of that good stuff, and I guarantee you’ll get ripped so many new ones you could seek employment as a sponge.

Luckily, this isn’t your snark board and you can’t just delete posts from people who set the record straight.

Once again, I believe I first heard the story sometime in the mid 1980s when Madalyn Murray O’Hair’s son, William, was on a radio talk show in Charlotte. I realize that you believe nothing in history ever happened unless someone has put something on a web page about it, but that is hardly the worst thing he has ever said about his mother:

My mother was an evil person … She was just evil. She stole huge amounts of money. She misused the trust of people. She cheated children out of their parents’ inheritance. She cheated on her taxes and even stole from her own organizations. She once printed up phony stock certificates on her own printing press to try to take over another atheist publishing company.But the fact of the matter is that since coming to this board and meeting soft atheists, I’ve been a defender of atheism as a worldview as perfectly valid as my own. If you were to use your search skills for something besides reading Tuba’s mind and fueling your enmity for me, you’d find plenty such posts. But since they don’t serve your interests, you won’t.

It’s what your interests are — fomenting hostility and documenting masturbatory fantasies about people who’ve had hard times here — that is so deeply disturbing. Unfortunately, we cannot link to your website. We can barely even mention it. Otherwise, I would show Hilarity N. Suze exactly what it is you do.

You and your couple of ass-licking cohorts will doubtless continue this hijack, eventually pinning it on me with your usual spiel about how I’m making it all about myself, when in fact it was Frank who brought up this ancient shit for no purpose other than to moralize about judgmentalism — a labor of the greatest possible irony. But Frank aside, *your * only interest lies in the vain hope of collecting something more for your journalistic sewage. At least Frank wasn’t particularly mean-spirited about it.

Inasmuch as you have never had a single kind word for me, it is clear that you operate on autopilot whenever you see my name. You have no purpose for posting a response to me ever other than attempting to stir up drama. Your whole ambition with respect to this board is nothing more than to troll for fodder that you can take back to your pig sty.

But I’m afraid that this is all the drama you’re going to get from me, so you’ll just have to sniff on it extra hard to get your jollies. I don’t sell the good stuff anymore.

Is it not on the outer rim?

New Dollar Coin

Stop that!

We’ll have none of that GD facts and cites rubbish here.

You, as the pittee, are allowed 2 types of post.

1. Groveling apology - preferably after 3 pages of vitriol first.
  2. Vicious attack on the OP - calling into doubt his parentage/religious/political affiliations/genital size with optional inferences about the OP’s sexual proclivities with goats/squids/badgers/other 4 legged creatures/inanimate objects.

What you are not allowed to do is hijack your own pitting with [shudder]useful information[/shudder].

Any more of this and I will have to report you to…errr, someone. So there!

I haven’t been called vile names but I have been told by a co-worker that it is impossible for me to have morals and that she wouldn’t leave her purse out in front of me because I’m probably a thief and she will be waiting for the day I kill someone. Because, without God, I’m nothing more than an unthinking animal with no guidance.

I was also told by a different creationist co-worker at a different job that she wished me and people like me would grow a tail (like a monkey) so we infidels can be easy to spot.

It is quite surprising what regular, nice folk will tell you straight to your face when you tell them you are an atheist.

And I’ve been called stupid, deluded, brainwashed, evil, and worse.

It’s quite surprising what regular, nice folk will tell you straight to your face when you tell them you are a Christian.

But so what? Neither side has cornered the market on reasoned discourse – or on incivility, for that matter. But we shouldn’t excuse bad behavior on the grounds that other people are worse.

I just think you’re cool. :slight_smile:

Oh don’t worry. That heaping helping was more than I expected, as I was simply answering someone’s question. FYI, if you want to give your foggy memory more backup, find a quote where someone said O’Hair physically attacked someone in some way, rather than just being a mean spirited fuck.

People like you and Tuckerfan really need to get over yourselves. Laughing at your self-perception and self-importance is not particularly important to me - probably a lot less important than, say, American Idol is to you.

OK. That’s nice. But that’s not what I’m addressing. I was adding a counterpoint to all the atheist who said nobody has ever said vile things about them because they were atheist.

It’s pretty obvious that at least one poster here has said nasty things about Christians-- it’s the point of this thread.
And yeup, I find it much more surprising that a person who has Jesus’ love in their heart would tell me she hopes I grow a monkey tail because I don’t believe what she believes. So much for them there exhalted morals.