Tonight I am releasing three huntsman spiders in the lab

If I caught you, you’d be eating those spiders, boy.

Well, that’s three squished spiders soon I guess. Did your co-workers torment you that much, or was life working there that much hell? :confused:

What did the spiders ever do to you?!

Preach it. I have an extreme aversion to spiders and while it seem funny at first, I wouldn’t be laughing.

That’s how I usually feel. The only kind of spiders I can tolerate are those tiny little jumping spiders–but if they jump on me, that ends quickly.

I think this so-called " prank" is incredible mean and cruel and dangerous.

It is cruel to the spiders. You know they won’t survive that “joke” of yours, do you? You might as well smash them now. Be sure to do it badly, because that is what is going to happen tomorrow. No-one will have good aim while there is panic all around. Then you can watch the spiders try and run to hide behind a desk to die there, slowly, because half its body is smashed. Fun way to die for an animal as big and old as a songbird. Ha-ha.

It is incredibly cruel to your co-workers, if they are afraid of spiders. I’m afraid of spiders, and a scare with an animal as big as that would have me instantly reduced to a blubbering hysterical trembling freak. I’d wet myself, no kidding, I’d run through glass or jump out of a window to get away from it. If that happened to me? Seriously? I’d sue you for all you are worth. I’ve never wanted to sue anyone, but this is where I would do just that.

Try a little empathy here. What are you deeply afraid of? Your loved ones getting hurt? Well, let me, your co-worker, stage the death of your wife or daughter for you. Imaging yourself, coming home to her limp and apparently lifeless body, on the floor, furniture turned over. A scruffy guy with a gun in his had leaning over her body. Blood everywhere (fake blood, but you don’t know that). How are you feeling? I’ll let you go mad for about 15 minutes. Then I will jump out of the woodwork and yell " surprise!". Your daughter, will stand up, smile and wipe the blood away and the scruffy guy will turn out to be an hired actor. Is that funny or what? A real hoot!

I suggest you put it next to the time machine, or possibly the teleporter. That could lead to all kinds of hijinks.

Thank you. I really don’t care about the coworkers so much. I am amenable to practical jokes if the recipient has a good sense of humor, and it’s not harmful, and if not, perhaps his coworkers will beat him up. But the spiders did nothing and it’s horribly cruel.

Its too bad you couldn’t get a Goliath Bird-Eating Spider

Florida, 'eh? Hmmm…nope, sorry…still to close. It’ll have to go.

:aims nukes:

Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, please tell me the person in that picture is only 16 inches tall.

Why did I look? Why?

Heh. You should’ve known better. Personally, I think she’s lovely, and I do mean the spider.

Well, the Wikipedia article says they are known for a “cling reflex” which makes it difficult to dislodge them.

In general, I agree that pranks involving live animals – especially ones where the animals are nearly certain to be harmed – are not good.

Sailboat

Holey Moley! That thing would eat a chihuahua!

Truth be told, I’m not entirely sure it is - spiders have such limited nervous systems that I really doubt there’s a mind in there, even one comparable to what you’d get in a bird or rodent. Spiders certainly have a reflexive aversion to harmful stimuli - but I’d be surprised if they’re actually capable of suffering, as such.

However, I’m pretty sure the staff at the petshop where the OP bought his spiders expected them to go to a good home, and be treated well. Huntsman spiders, so far as I know, aren’t normally used as “feeder” animals for anything else. If I’m selling an animal as a pet, I’m going to expect you to treat it as a pet, not a plaything to torture. If I were the clerk who sold these spiders, I’d think the OP is more than a bit of a jerk, and I’d be upset that I’d been made a party to his “prank”.

It’s a very cruel joke for people who are afraid of spiders.

I am have a fairly healthy fear of snakes…or rather people being around snakes who are around me…there was one found in the lunchroom about a week ago. The fellow who found it brought me out to the workshop and stood with me (about 10 feet away) trying to get me to walk a little closer; “confront my fear” type thing. Until one of our drivers came in, realized what I was trying to do, pointed to the floor, yelled “snake” and watched me go.

After i tried to climb up to his shoulders via anything I could get a hold of, I realized he was just kidding and took a hell of a swing at him.

Haven’t spoken much to him since then. :mad:

I’m a little surprised that so many in this thread are taking the OP seriously. Isn’t it clear that he’s kidding?

I think anyone would realize that this would be a monumentally stupid idea, spider-rights and concern for cow-orkers aside. The sort of legal liabilities he would be opening up are…well…this would make for an amusing torts exam to say the least.

Is this legal? Releasinga non-native species is not a good thing to do. what if these things interbred with local spiders? like in “ARACHNAPHOBIA”!

I am with you on the cruelty to spiders, but this… no comparison.