Too clever for his own good

All chocolate is toxic, as said. Milk chocolate is slightly less so, simply because the toxic alkaloids* are basically diluted by the presence of added dairy.

• they’re toxic to everyone. Humans, too. No, really. It’s just that 1.) humans have relatively tough, robust livers and 2.) tend not to eat their literal body weight in chocolate at one sitting. Dogs are kinda the opposite.

Absolutely gorgeous, he sounds very intelligent, too. I wish you all much happiness together. Now, Iggy needs to stay put once in awhile.

Iggy is adorbs! Looks like a dachshund/terrier mix. A dangerous combination!

Sounds a bit like the story of Suzy Pupman. Stray, only walking on three legs, wandered into a home that the wind had blown the not-quite-all-the-way closed door open. Another neighbor walking by saw the open door & closed it. Family came downstairs in the morning & couldn’t figure out how some dog got into their locked house, until they went to the video. Story went internationally viral.

My old as dirt Rat Terrier ate a Hershey bar wrapper and all. She puked all on her own. Right on my foot. She felt sorry for herself for a few hours.
You could not make her eat chocolate after that. She would actually growl at it if you offered her some.

What a cute doggie! (And everybody knows I hate dogs…)

I have regaled the masses with stories of Bailey, the Houdini of dogs. Since her last adventure away from home, she has been well-behaved, and still wears the harness somebody probably painted on her body, since it hasn’t come off yet.

I still have not really forgiven her. When I let the doggies in the house, they go straight to their kennels. They get dog biscuits. I hand some to Ciroc, and I tell him he’s a good boy, as I lock his kennel.

When I get to Bailey, I hand her the treat and say, “You’re a tramp, Bailey.”
~VOW

Also regular ol’ table salt. Just put a moderate amount on the back of their tongue, about enough to cover a small square about as wide as the tongue itself. My ex and I had to do this a few years ago when our 9-pound miniature dachshund somehow ate a whole Chipotle burrito. Worked like a charm.

Iggy wins for cleverness. What will your next attempt to hold back that cutie pie be? An armored truck?

I think I’ve stymied him for now.
I had to modify the kiddie gate, and lower it so that he can’t get his little head under it, and I also re-engineered the latch, so that it will only open with a push from the top, which he is too small to do.

I hope.

(It’s worked so far…)
Now, all I need to do is to remember to keep my gym bag off the floor, since when I don’t, he digs in it and finds my earphones and chews them up.

“…responds to ‘Lucky’.”