"Top-10 episodes of Buffy" sez Joss Wheadon

The episode with The Gentlemen was the best.

The singing episode sucked.

Any episode with Drusilla is worth watching again.

I agree, it’s dumb, but I get why she did it. When she died there were a lot of really devastated people. They really had a deep grief for Tara because she was a positive role-model for them. There aren’t that many gay and lesbian people on TV (Unless you watch the Gay Minstral show Will &Grace). Amber is a sweet person, and if she thinks it’s not appropriate to further hurt her fans, then that’s her right.
Or, alternately, if she thinks it’s not wortht he money they were offering to cause pain to her fans, that’s her right.

My top Ten, in really no particular order.

1. Dead Things
  2. I Only Have Eyes For You (It made a B/A shipper for a whole 30 minutes.)
  3. Lies My Parents Told Me
  4. Smashed
  5. Lie to Me
  6. Something Blue
  7. Intervention
  8. The Gift
  9. Passion
  10. Tabula Rasa

Band Candy (“Are there any nachos here, little tree?”) and Something Blue (“This is the crack team that foils my every plan? I am deeply shamed.”) should be in there somewhere too–although I don’t know which ones I’d bump to make room. FWIW, I though Conversations was less than stellar so that’d probably be the first to go.

Pangs should also almost make the list based on snappy dialogue:

*Xander: To slaying him? Well, the representative from syphilis votes yay.

Willow: You mean…Angel? I saw him too.
Giles: Well, that’s not terribly stealthy of him.
Willow: I think he’s lost his edge.

Spike: Bloody hell, woman. You’re cutting off my circulation.
Buffy: You don’t have any circulation.
Spike: Well, it pinches.*

My favorite from Pangs is
Spike: A bear! You made a bear!
Buffy: I didn’t mean to!

Well, that’s Joss for ya…just about all the episodes he picked as the Top Ten…

…were ones he wrote!

Egomaniac, much?

BTW, addressing some of the above comments regarding Amber Benson…I realize that in these days of post-Boomer go-fer-it-bud plutocracy that it might seem unfashionable or even dumb for an actress to turn down a paid guest shot for any reason whatsoever. However, Ms. Benson has always been very conscious of the fans, who ultimately are the people who make the actors into stars in the first place. She is also aware that the death of her character, Tara, and the manner in which she died, was very upsetting to a huge percentage of the fans. Playing the First Evil pretending to be Tara’s spirit in an attempt to goad Willow into committing suicide would have been, in her opinion, extremely painful for the fans to watch (I know I wouldn’t have enjoyed that). For an actor to actually care what her fans think, as opposed to how much money a particular part can net her, that speaks to me of her integrity.

What doesn’t speak to me of integrity was how Joss immediately said “Fox wasn’t willing to pay her what she wanted,” out of spite. Joss is apparently in the third stage of Roddenberry’s Syndrome ™.

That’s your opinion. do quite a bit of writing myself, and having had my text shredded by editors, I can surely understand him. Of course the ones the wrote are closest to him. Why wouldn’t they be?

…Mentally deficiency is mental deficiency regardless of what you consider a slur.
“Retard” is a slur… retarded is a condition. Just so you know.

…Yeah… there shouldn’t be an “ly” at the end of Mental in my last post… egg on my face.

Sorry but sacrificing what would be best for the show to save a smallish percentage of the fanbases’ feelings is just ridiculous. Oh poor poor Tara fans… Conversations with Dead People would have been outstanding if “Tara” had tried to get Willow to kill herself… Holy crap that would have been powerful. That’s drama and that’s emotion.
It reminds me of prowrestlers who refuse to do the job or an angle because it isn’t best for the their character/themselves.

If she didn’t want to do it because of money… That’s fine… That’s business… Fan’s feelings? Plain silly.
About Whedon liking his own episodes… Well, you can argue that his episodes are some of the best…so it would just be silly humility for him not to pick his own where appropriate.
Now if he had picked “Family” as one of the best… I’d call b.s.
That’s a bad episode until Spike punches Tara, then it gets good. It’s one of the Spike’s first good guy acts.

Since a lot of people have been posting their top tens, I figured I’d contribute…
(in No particular Order)

1. I only have eyes for you
  2. Loves Walk
  3. Suprise
  4. Doppelgangland
  5. Passion
  6. Becoming Part II
  7. Once More with Feeling
  8. As You Were
  9. Graduation Day PartII
  10. Amends (I cried my eyes out at the end)