Top Chef (9/23) [SPOILERS]

I liked Ron, because he seemed to enjoy cooking purely for the sake of cooking, and was so affable… but I think he was in way over his head. I’d bet his food is really great, when he cooks what he knows well.

Jennifer is starting to grow on me, although I thought she was too full of herself at first. I still can’t keep the brothers straight. I think Kevin could probably make dirt taste good.

And I like Toby’s snarkiness, especially combined with Tom’s constant eye-rolls and Padma’s sighing.

I just saw Kevin on Totally Looks Like, it seems he totally looks like Yukon Cornelius from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Whoa, I don’t know how I missed that the scarves were a Basque thing. Oops. Still, though, it’s weird to wear one at all times. Those pictures look like they’re from a festival, not just two guys walking home from work in Basque country.

On the other hand, Stefan seemed to ALWAYS have a Finland-themed t-shirt on, so I guess I was too hard on Mattin. I do hope he earns his Eagle soon, though.

Ron’s been just barely hanging on for weeks now. I bet at his restaurant when he cooks what he knows and how he likes, his food is good. As said above, I don’t think he really understood what was going on all the time.

I don’t get the Robin (robyn?) hate. She does seem annoying, but not horrible. I felt that the wearing of the red scarves was a signal to her that they would have rather her be gone than Mattin.

What the judges didn’t say, but I’m going to assume, is that if Robin didn’t have immunity, she would have been bottom 3 and very easily could have gone home.

Ash is funny, but how does one mess up mashed potatoes, even if they are pureed with parsnips??? The “I’ve never made a traditional Shepherd’s Pie. I just wing it as i did here,” was lame and the judges saw through it, thankfully. I didn’t want him to go home, but it was a little mind boggling.

My theory about online airings is that Bravo would rather you watch them one of the 18 times they’ll show it this week via your tv. I don’t know if any of the episodes made it to Hulu or bravotv.com last season. Sometimes they are on OnDemand.

“Sweet!” “Tadaa!”

Kevin should get prizes every week.

Seems like the cheftestants have all identified who the top four are going to be as well and those not making the cut are starting to turn their energies to attacking each other.

His shrimp made somebody sick? When did that happen?

It didn’t, he did a cod ceviche that made Tim Love a little queasy. Robin made the shrimp, which everyone agreed was dreadful, but no one (that I recall) claimed to have actually been made ill by it.

It was the cod, right. In my head, shrimp sounded better in that sentence. :smack: In any case the guy said something like “I’m ill from that.” I thought he was trying to politely explain the food gave him explosive diarrhea, but perhaps he just meant queasy.

I didn’t get to see what he did but I heard him say they were gummy and then I knew what he did. You don’t purée potatoes or they do end up gluey. I learned this a long time ago, if you do see chefs making mashed potatoes in a food processor they are probably doing short, quick pulses but if you do a full on purée you get glue.

As for the million times they re-air the episodes, they still manage to show them at a time I can’t watch. The only things they show when I can watch are Anal Real Estate Guy and Boobjobbed Phony Housebitches of Someplace. Neither of which interest me.

:slight_smile: Poor thing, winning that instead of a $10K chip.

What does Padma add to the show? She’s the only part I don’t like at all.

Wow, Douche Eli was sure in full force. “So that’s how you win, tell them you had cancer.” Geezus, the cahllenge was a personalized one and excuse her for having cancer and having it be a big influence on her. I didn’t mind him, although he was a lways a bit full of himself, but now he is on my do not like list.

I wanted to point out to him that, unlike a lot of the other guys, she actually did what the challenge told them to do and prepared something which showed what she should do versus what she wanted to do. Too many of the other chef’s dishes, while they may have had two different things, didn’t have that contrast.

I was never all that impressed by Mattin. First, I’m pretty sure the Basques consider themselves Basque, not French or Spanish, and second, he never seemed to be as good a cook as he thought he was. I never figured him for better than middle of the pack, and he’s certainly not better than Ashley. I’m pretty sure she wasn’t sorry to see him go.

I think that Robyn’s being treated terribly, and although I’d find it very irritating to work with that constant monologue, all they need to do is ask her politely to stop because they’re trying to concentrate. The comment about having cancer being all you need to win was very unfair. Ron brought up Haiti at every turn, and Robyn hasn’t often talked about her cancer.

Poor Ron was never better than lower-middle. I think he’s cooked seafood at every challenge, and never very successfully. Ash not being able to do mashed potatoes was sort of shocking.

I heart Kevin.

StG

I hate that half the chefs did one healthy dish and one not so healthy dish. Especially since that’s the example that Padme gave.

Nipples. At least in one memorable episode. But seriously, she offers someone who is gorgeous to look at, and has a reasonable knowledge of fine dining. Makes sense to me.

I agree, everyone seemed to be really mean to Robyn - that Mattin tribute seemed a very unsubtle way of saying, “it should have been Robyn.” Which is both plain rude and not terribly accurate. Serving something crappy and thinking to the very end that it was great is a sure way to get cut, and that’s what he did. Robyn did poorly, but she was saved by Mattin doing poorly and being clueless on top of it.

Agree, Eli is approaching Mike in douchiness.

I also thought they should have been more creative with the devil/angel thing. What, 5 people made high fat and low fat scallops? Booring. The first thing that sprang to my mind as an alternative to the healthy/decadent idea was to do one side local/sustainable/organic/vegan, and the other out of season, traditionally farmed, meat-heavy. It would have been nice to see some novel ideas.

BTW, how do you become a chef and not know what florentine is, or that “chips” in fish n chips are french fries?

Hey - did Top Chef not come on this week - its not in my DVR. I didn’t have time to investigate before I had to rush out of the house.

I did notice scheduling for Top Chef Masters next week. Are those reruns?

The show was a rerun of the Penn & Teller ep last night. Don’t know why they didn’t have a new ep to offer…

Maybe Bravo is running out of money. They showed Coming to America several times yesterday.

Just when I got drawn into this thing, the Bravo free preview is over.

Speaking of which, how can we have a Bravo free preview like once a year, but each time it’s timed to include Kathy Griffin’s standup routine?