Top Fifty Most-Recognized Tunes

Somewhere I read that of the top 10 most-recognizable tunes worldwide, 4 of them were from the Nutcracker Suite. One was probably Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy,” and probably another was Mozart’s “Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.”

Assuming we’re talking about actual tunes (with words or without), and not snippets of music (like the “Intel Inside” sonic logo), what other tunes should qualify for the coveted most-recognized worldwide?

Classical:

Opening of Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Opening of Mozart - Symphony 40 in G minor
Opening of Beethoven - Symphony 5 - movement I
Theme from Beethoven - Symphony 9 - movement IV (Ode to Joy)
Beethoven - Bagatelle ‘Fur Elise’
Beethoven - Piano Sonata 14 ‘Moonlight’ - Ist movement
Opening of Bach - Tocatta and Fugue in D minor
British Airways adaptation of aria ‘Sous le dome epais’ from Leo Delibes’ opera Lakme
Spring - 1st movement from Vivaldi’s Opus 3
Strauss’ Blue Danube Waltz
Pachelbel’s Canon

I would think that Lennon’s Imagine would be one, although I honestly don’t know how well it was received outside of the western (english-speaking) community.

Pachabel’s Canon would be another and you’ve gotta wonder about Ravel’s Bolero.

Sorry… Pachelbel.

For the rock route, I’d guess Stairway to Heaven and Hey Jude as well.

The Star-Spangled Banner-- though I may be overestimating its international exposure. I’d bet it’d be in the top fifty, though.

Tequila
Wild Thing
Wipe Out
La Bamba

I’m wondering if a criterion is that the person has to be able to name the work?

Also, I think people are overestimating the mass influence of “high” culture. I’d bet good money that more people in the world are familiar with “I Will Always Love You” or “Wonderwall” than Vivaldi’s “Spring”.

I was going to start a thread about how this tune shows up in the most interesting places. It’s on a cut from one of Carbonleaf’s live albums, in Indigo Girls’ Cedar Tree…

Of course (sorry to keep popping in), the mental calculus involved in all this is very confusing. One third of all the people in the world live in India and China, but neither either of those countries have as much colonial and neo-colonial cultural influence as the US or Europe. But if there was a song universally recognized, say, by pretty much all Chinese people, would that 1 billion people be enough to push it into the top 50? Or an extremely well-known Bollywood song could easily take the majority of Indians, a lot of other South Asians, and South Asian expats living in the Caribbean and British Isles.

I can’t quite remember where I read of the original claims, or how they determined which songs were “recognizable” or what criteria were used.

I can’t even be sure how they decided something was “globally” recognized — whether being popular in one very large country was enough, or if multiple countries were required.

I’m guessing that naming the title of the song, or the name of the composer, was not part of the requirement. Maybe they proved they could recognize it if they could hum along?

It’s not so much “high culture” as “songs without language.” The Nutcracker Suite, written for dance, is more accessible across cultures than a song in any one language.

William Tell Overture – not only the finale, but the “storm” and “morning” sections are constantly used by films and TV.

1812 Overture – Tchaikovski’s cannons are better know than Pachebel’s. :slight_smile:

Hungarian Rhapsody

The Beautiful Blue Danube

Rhapsody in Blue.

If we’re just talking about generic “tunes,” I’d have to include “Happy Birthday to You,” “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” and other childhood ditties of that ilk.

The Empire Carpet commercial, hands down.

:slight_smile:

“For anyone who has ever wondered who in the world buys Richard Clayderman records, it’s the Chinese, and there are a billion of them.”
–Douglas Adams

Happy Birthday to You, written by Patty and Mildred Hill- I remember reading that this is one of the top three most-sung songs, along with Auld Lang Syne and one other I forget.

I’d posit some Christmas carols-- maybe Jingle Bells and Silent Night?

Also, perhaps Amazing Grace.

And for classical, I’d put O Fortuna from Orff’s Carmina Burana. I don’t know if it’d be in the true 50, but I certainly think it’s as recognizable as many of the classical pieces mentioned here.

I’m also thinking some movie themes might be up there. Star Wars? Indiana Jones? Again, though, I worry about US-centrism-- I don’t know how much these tunes have permeated the rest of the world.

Greensleeves, Londonderry Air (aka Danny Boy)

White Christmas, Silent Night, Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful), Joy To The World

God Save The Queen (My Country 'Tis of Thee), La Marseillaise, Star Spangled Banner, Oh Canada!

Definitely “Happy Birthday” and several children’s songs and Christmas carols. How about some classic tv themes, like The Twilight Zone’s "doo-doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo-doo "?

Theme from Peter Gun

Sing Sing Sing (With A Swing)?