Toronto Maple Leaf Parmagiana Topped with Parmasan Cheese - English questions

Toronto Maple LeaFS? I always thought it was 1 maple leaf and 2 maple leaVES. Or is it just because of screwy Canadian English?

Also, is “parmesan” cheese pronounced the same as chicken “parmagiana”? My Italian pizza guy says that they’re the same pronunciation. Other Italians I know state the opposite.

There is no such word as “parmesan” in Italian. The word is “Parmagiana” and the two words are not pronounced the same in English.

Perhaps your pizza guy is thinking of “parmesan cheese” and Chicken Parmesan. Then they are pronounced the same, but “parmesan” is an English word, not Italian.

parmagianna vesus parmesana:

Italiano will say “Parmagian” either way. Parmagiana does not refer to the cheese, but a style.

Like Riccota to me is “Ri-gut”

The team sweater has ONE LEAF on it. If the sweater had 2 or 3 then your claim that they should be called the Maple Leaves would have merit.

Actually, the sweater has 3 leaves… one on the front and one on each arm…

Also, the team name refers to the players does it not? Multiple players, or “leafs” :slight_smile:

I think that your statement implies that the team name should be the Toronto Maple Leaf (singular). It still doesn’t explain why they are called the Maple Leafs (plural) when the plural of “leaf” is “leaves”.

The name Toronto Maple Leafs is written that way because that’s the way the people who named the team wanted it. Each player is a Toronto Maple Leaf; therefore, the plural is Toronto Maple Leafs.

And is GQ really the right place for stupid insults?

I apologize. I really didn’t mean for it to be an insult. But you have to admit, it’s a little silly to have a grammatical/usage error as your team name.

Of course, in baseball we have the Red Sox and White Sox.

Where is the stupid insult? :confused:

And isn’t it insulting to call somebody’s insult stupid?

“screwy Canadian English”

No. Calling Jackknifed stupid would have been an insult (and not at all what I intended). His comment was insulting and inappropriate for this forum.

Thanks for clarifying your intent, although the little “really” qualifier somewhat dilutes the apology.

I’ll point out that the imperfect form of the verb leaf is in fact leafs. So, if you just realize that it’s the Toronto Maples that are beginning to leaf, it’s perfectly correct, grammatically. :smiley:

Actually, “Toronto Maple Leafs” is correct grammer in the U.S. or Canada. From this site, the Chair of Linguistics from Brigham Young University says:

He goes on to give several examples, including “Toronto Maple Leafs.”

This question has come up before.

Thanks Cerowyn and Pipeliner. Now I’m very glad that I asked the question.

I don’t know about any of these answers. We hockey guys use the French way of not pronouncing the “s” on plural words.

When Toronto comes to town, we say, “The Toronto Maple Leaf are playing the Philadelphia Flyer”

Also, The Canadien come to town and battle it out with our organ-eye-zation.

in today’s paper (phila daily news) the tv listing had toronto playing in toronto at 7pm against i believe ottawa. the paper also listed the toronto maple leaf(s) playing in detroit at 8:30 pm against the piston(s). many of us were wonder how the 8:30 game would be played. many, many strange ideas.

Does the CFL still have two Roughriders?

The Saskatchewan Roughriders persist, but the Ottawa Rough Riders folded in 1996, and have been replaced by the Ottawa Renegades.

Vancouver-based Forget magazine has an amusing article on the troubled Ottawa team and the CFL in general.

Never mind how the 8:30 game would be played, I wonder what game in Detroit would be played. The Leafs play hockey and the Pistons play basketball.