Totally obnoxious modern garage-rock poll

OK? Rank the four bands of the moment, with one being best and four being least best:

The Hives
The Strokes
The Vines
The White Stripes

I’ll post my ranking after a while. And, to anybody who fears I’m being sarcastic and actually hate all these bands, let me just allay your fears. I like them all. Just in varying degrees. So this isn’t a slam. I’m genuinely curious.

4, 4, 4, 4.

Ha freakin’ ha. What a wit you are, sir. Oscar Wilde is spinning in his grave even as we speak.

Anybody actually have anything to contribute? If not, that’s cool. Whatever floats your boat.

I don’t understand. You said rank each one, and I did. I have heard each band and find them, according to my opinion, worthy of a ranking of 4 apiece, on your scale. No attempt at wit is meant to be inferred.

I’m sorry if you find my contribution unworthy. This is a poll, is it not? And, if I have offended you, please accept my humble apologies. While I may disagree with certain types of music, I do my best to discern a person’s character from their tastes.

I like them all. I’d have difficulty rating them though. I’d put The Hives at no.4, since I’m least familiar with their material, but out of the rest, it just depends on how I’m feeling. The White Stripes are great for bluesy rocking out, whereas The Strokes have a more modern, urban feel - more dense and controlled. The Vines are more complex, often slower and dreamier and have a different place. They sound more modern than either band, too.

So, I’d say:

1. The Vines, The Strokes, The White Stripes (equal)
  2. The Hives
    I think Joe K that the point was that, despite this thread being a poll, responses aren’t very useful if they don’t provide any information at all. Ranking each group last doesn’t help anyone. It’s like posting “The Simpsons suck” to a "Whos’ your favourite Simpsons’ charcater thread, or entering a Star Trek thread to say that you hate Star Trek. For anyone wishing to have a proper discussion about the topic, your interruption is pointless, distracting and somewhat rude.

I thought JoeK was actually doing more scoring than ranking. Instead of saying this band’s the best and this band’s the worst, he was saying “on a scale of one to four, how good are these bands” and he said they were all fours.

That’s how I took it.

The only two I’ve listened to are The Hives and The White Stripes. Of the two, I like The Hives much more. Good pop-punk tunes played energetically.

I’ve seen The Strokes in a few videos and tv appearances, and they haven’t appealed to me, though I know that’s not the same as sitting down and really listening to their CD.

#1–The White Stripes

They rawk.

For me, number one is easy: I’ve gotta go with the local band, The White Stripes[sup]1[/sup]. The other three I haven’t heard nearly so much of; however, I caught a number of Strokes tunes when they were The Next Big Thing, and, just recently, the latest Hives and Vines on MTV2. From that admittedly small sample comes the rest of my impressions: The Vines were, frankly, pretty boring. The Hives, on the other hand, piqued my interest. The Strokes made me think of the Velvet Underground: not a bad thing, per se, but not as interesting as the Hives. So I come up with:

1. The White Stripes
  2. The Hives
  3. The Strokes
  4. The Vines

[sup]1[/sup] A few years back, Jack White from the White Stripes rented studio space in the building my wife now has space in. He moved out about the time she moved in, and she rented his old studio for a summer before moving into her current space. Jack left a nice ten-foot long table that my wife glommed onto and still has. True story, and also illustrative of the fact that I’m at least three degrees of seperation (including one inanimate object) from anyone cool.

Well, I agree with most people here; the White Stripes are definitely my favorites. They just rock. I also really like the Hives; fast, loud, and consistently good. I like several songs by the Vines a lot, but they’re less consistent; some of their stuff is a little boring. The Strokes are pretty good, but nothing really jumps out at me. So:

1. The White Stripes
  2. The Hives
  3. The Vines
  4. The Strokes

That’s a cool story, zut.

1. The White Stripes
  2. The Hives
  3. The Strokes
  4. The Vines

with the strokes and the vines waaaaay below the first two… as far as I can tell, they’re just rock 'n roll boy bands.
Three other bands of the same genre that would, IMHO rate above the strokes/vines, would be The Flaming Sideburns, The Von Bondies and B.R.M.C. (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club). Damn fine garage rock