Touristy things to do in Galveston Texas?

What should I do?

Visit Moody Gardens, stroll alongThe Strand, tour the Lone Star Flight Museum, eat seafood at Guidos, picnic on the beach along Seawall Bvd., ride the ferry boat across the the bay to Boliver, visit Seawolf Park and take a tour of the WW2 sub and distroyer. go fishing, tour the Bishops Palace and pump money into the economy of a city that was almost wiped off of the map a by Hurricane Ike.
Enjoy your visit.

Absolutely-- don’t miss Moody Gardens! Be sure to have a camera ready, too!

The train museum.

Especially if you’re taking kids.

I second, third, fourth Moody Gardens. Also, if you’ve got any future astronauts in tow, the Johnson Space Center isn’t too terribly far.

If you’re into that kinda thing (or just interested in various things), visit Col Bubbies–“The free world’s only surviving AUTHENTIC military surplus store.” It’s on the Strand. I’ve never been visiting when it’s open, but the SO says the slogan is absolutely true.

http://www.colbubbie.com/

I always recommend visiting the Ocean Star - it’s the only museum in the world where I helped set up one of the exhibits :smiley:

I remember visiting on board a tall ship and museum in the harbor. I don’t recall the name of it, though.

Seconded on this. If you are into this kind of stuff, this store is a must visit. Allow plenty of time to browse.

The Elissa. Well worth a visit. She’s a beautiful ship.

The Great Storm Theater is right next door. You can see a film about what remains the most deadly disaster in US history. Or just read the stuff at the link for free!

YES! That’s it! Very cool! Thank you beowulf.

I second going on the poor mans’ cruise.

However, depending on when you do this, you may want to park your car in the free lot ajacent to the ferry dock and walk on. On weekends and other peak times the wait to drive on with a car can be hours (each way).

It’s a neat ride. You can see all kinds of wildlife like pelicans, oystercatchers, gulls, and (if you are lucky) dolphin. Keep an eye out for the remains of a concrete ship, and on the Bolivar side a handsome cast iron lighthouse.

If you go to the beach, take a can of lighter fluid and a rag to get the tar and oil off the bottom of your feet when you leave.

All of this. Is Stewart Beach still a wretched hive of scum and villainy? Fun place.

I think you probably mean Gaido’s. The foofy script they used on the sign sure does make it look like “Guido’s.”

I second Gaido’s (fixed link). My family has eaten there regularly for nearly 50 years. I was less than a year old when I went there for the first time, and I’m now in my 40s.

I never go to Galveston without eating there. Unfortunately, since I moved to New England, I don’t get to Galveston as often as I used to.

If you want to save some money, Casey’s next door uses the same kitchen and has much of the same food with a more casual atmosphere.