My wife had her first ever professional massage, and it was absolutely wonderful. I had one a few years ago and completely agree.
There is one thing that was told to both of us though that I just can’t believe is actual science. We were both told we needed to drink lots of water to wash out the toxins released in the massage.
My wife was less skeptical than I am and seemed to think it was a good idea. I know being well hydrated is good, but is there really anything scientific about the massage releasing “toxins” being rinsed away by the extra water. I don’t really picture muscle tissue releasing “toxins” like a zit releases puss just to be washed away by water that somehow is now rushing thorough your arms and legs to wash out this toxic goo.
I’ll be happy to be shown that I’m wrong and will submit to hours of massage to make amends if necessary.
I did… because when she teased me about my attitude she said “why don’t you ask those people on the Straight Dope what they think.” I told her I could probably find something on Google faster, but now I’m off the hook by doing what she wanted and still getting the answer I was looking for.
There is a grain of truth, there, if you phrase it right.
Normal massage probably doesn’t remove toxins.
But lymph massage - done by correctly trained experts - helps move the lmyph fluid along, and the main job of the lymph fluid is to remove toxins (generally waste products, but also leftovers from when white cells attack invaders etc.) from the blood and then dump them at the appropriate points. People can have, due to several illnesses, problems with their lymph system not working correctly, which leads to swelling/ bloating because water is retained in the limbs, and is not healthy, so insurance pays for the special massage to get the lymphe moving again.