Toyota accessory: Moss Para camper (1974)

My dad had one of these on his 1974 Toyota Hi-Lux pickup. A Moss Para Camper. Here is a drawing showing its use. It was a great accessory. Locked down, it smoothed out the airflow. With the sides up, bukly things could be carried in it. In high school dad sent me up to his parents’ place in Oregon with a gas refrigerator and a hide-a-bed couch. It was nice to camp in too. Lots of headroom so we could stand up. The tent was stowed in one side, and the table and a foam mattress for it was stowed in the other. We only used the table as a table, as there was never a need for a third bed. Unfortunately the truck was totalled in a collision (along with my knees) and dad sold the salvaged tent.

I was looking at a Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab a few years ago, as I no longer need the six-cylinder power of my Jeep but would find the open bed of a pick-up useful. I wondered if the Para Camper would fit. Only they no longer exist. Moss stopped making them years ago, and I’ve never seen one for sale. If I ever do get a pick-up, I may have to see if Omar the Tentmaker has a shop nearby.

I wonder why Moss stopped making the Para Camper, and why no one else (to my knowledge) has made something similar? A locking cover, versatile hauling, and a spacious tent make it a very useful accessory.

You know, it looks hokey (but that’s because the advertisement is old) but I bet that it’d be a pretty fun thing if you had one and had use for one.

Totally. And it is pretty useful.

Thats pretty nifty. In my quick search I couldn’t find a moder equivalent. (slide-in campers yeas popup campers yes, but not both)

Brian

They make truck bed tents.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0025872516446a&type=product&cmCat=search-perf&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=truck+tent&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=truck+tent&noImage=0&rid=0180101070502&cmCat=perf&cm_ven=performics&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=autoatv_autoexterior_bed&cm_ite=truck%20bed%20tent&_requestid=62668

I kinda want one.

That’s kind of cool. But the old Moss product had advantages: The beds were out of the truck bed, giving more interior space. The Moss has more headroom. And it folds up into a locking bed cover. On the other hand, the Cabella’s tent has shock corded poles. The moss had two poles made up of socketed sections that could become unconnected if you weren’t careful, and were heavier than modern shock corded poles.