Toyota brings back the Supra

But Toyota/Lexus made the LFA, a legit hypercar!

It looks good except maybe the roofline, but like most revival sports cars will be out of my price range.

Very true, but look across the platform of BMW and Toyota generally. BMW has an M version of pretty much everything they make, and made their own super car back in the late 70s as the M1. Toyota tends to make really good one offs and then abandon them for periods of time. Maybe I’m mistaken in that but it seems that way to me. They build the 200GT, one of the most beautiful sports cars ever made IMHO, and dump it 3 years later (It’s OK Aki, I would have let you drive me around too. Dump that Bond chump). They make the Celica GT-4, one of the most capable small cars of its time and the template for later cars like the WRX and Evo. They dump it after 3 iterations. To be fair, 13 years is pretty reasonable for a car’s lifespan, still.
Now, maybe they spin more performance oriented vehicles off to Lexus but the number of true Sports Cars with the Toyota marque on the hood is still fairly small for such a large company. When they do make them , they are pretty nice though.

Is that what they’re calling the FR-S now? I kinda want one, but in the Subaru badge. I don’t really need the AWD and it’s just so much cheaper than a WRX.

In the states it’s the “Toyota 86” now that Scion is dead.

My father-in-law, who’s a lifelong gearhead and sports-car fan, was in town over the holidays. He bought a new Corvette a few years ago, and he’s still a huge Corvette fan. He was quoting to me several articles about the next-generation Vette that’s currently in development, and from what he’s read, even that classic performance car won’t be offered with a manual transmission any longer.

Well, automatics are now faster than manuals. And they’re putting 10 speeds in them now.

It’s a sign of times. I still want to drive a manual in a sports car/motorcycle but they’re dinosaurs. They need to come up with a reason for a stick shift electric car. I’ll believe anything they say. High rpm electric motors cause a warp in the time/space continuum… works for me.

It’s really not about the speed, the majority of sports car drivers will never go anywhere near their car’s maximum speed, or put the limits of its acceleration to the test, unless they’re one of the small minority who bothers to take it to a track. It’s about the degree of control over the car.

Having a clutch and shifter make the car more of an extension of your body. It’s very simple. In an automatic, your left foot and one of your hands have basically nothing to do. That’s 2 out of four, or 50% engagement of your extremities with the control of the vehicle. With a clutch and a shifter both hands and both feet have a specific individual task for controlling the vehicle. That is four out of four extremities engaged, or 100% engagement.

Yeah, it is kinda weird in a way. But facts are facts: sports cars are not top sellers for ANY manufacturer except for smaller companies like say, Porsche, that builds nothing BUT sports cars/SUV’s.

Dead Scion: FRS
Toyota: 86
Subaru: BRZ

The bolded however is patently untrue. What often happens is people don’t differentiate between a “normal” WRX and an STi. All STi’s are WRX’s, but not all WRX’s are STi’s.

STi’s are 40k-ish at sticker. A middling Premium trim WRX is 30k. A Limited WRX is about 34k.

A mid trim BRZ is also 30k. In fact, the pricing on those cars is very similar, they don’t really get above 34k and some change. But they are radically different cars for sure.

This is very eloquently put in terms of driving engagement. I would have said something like “you have your hand on the cock of the car” when you drive a manual tranny sports car.

I read a LOT of automotive publications, reviews, etc as I am an enthusiast and a auto salesperson and it’s hilarious to me how vocal the distinct minority of gearheads clamoring for the stoppage of the demise of the manual transmission are. The take on manuals for most brands is like 3-5%.

Toyota 86 = Scion FRS = Subaru BRZ, all are available in the USA (or at least all have been simultaneously, I have no idea if one of the lines was discontinued).

There may be some minor trim variations, but they’re the same car. The BRZ even has Toyota stamps on the motor. It’s a different beast entirely from the WRX (which I never loved).

Which is kinda odd since the 4th gen Supra had so much in common with the Lexus SC300. Both shared the 2JZ-GE engine, R154 5-speed and much of the underpinnings.

I get a lot of puzzled looks from mine - most have never seen a stick in a Lexus. I tell them it is a Supra in Lexus clothing…

:smiley:

Thing is, if I was going to spend that much money on a toy and was considering a WRX instead of a BRZ, it’d be a WRX STi. And it might as well be top end, so with some options call it $45k. I was just lazy in my typing.

In reality, I’d probably just buy something somewhat more practical and not completely overpowered. So now I say bring back the Civic del Sol. I’d also take a more powerful version of the MX-3, but they need to keep the Kammback and the spoiler.

WHY do they want to camouflage the body? I don’t know about you, but when I’m out on the road I want to be visible to the other drivers, and I want them to be visible to me, too. Nothing irks me more than the idiots in, for example, grey cars who have no lights on when it’s foggy or really cloudy and rainy. (I’ve mini-ranted about that a time or two.) Unless you’re James Bond, being hard to see is a definite bug, not a feature.

The production cars for consumers are not going to be camouflaged…it’s something the manufacturers do specifically to conceal the design of the car to as great a degree as possible BEFORE it is released so that it is more striking and surprising when it hits the market.

Not that I really give a damn, since most carmakers are out to lunch in the design department today, in my opinion. The only ones outside of exotics and supercars that are still on top of their body design game are Volkswagen, Audi, and Jaguar, IMO.

That was exactly one of the points he made to me – that the new generation of automatic transmissions can shift even faster than a skilled manual driver.

When I bought my Mustang, seven years ago, I bought a stick, because that’s what you do when you buy that sort of car. :slight_smile: But, I fully recognize that it’s very likely the last manual transmission car I’ll ever buy.

Exactly this. The only time you ever see a picture of a car in that sort of camouflage is when one of the auto magazines gets a “spy photo” of a not-yet-in-production prototype.

Autos never shift the way I want to on a demanding drive. Yes, you can switch to “manual mode”, but let’s be honest: it’s just not the same.

Ever driven a Porsche with their PDK auto transmission?

No matter how fast or efficiently an auto can shift, it will never posess a pair of eyes and ears which scans the road a ways down and anticipates a needed shift.