Toys!

Okay, toys are just cool nowdays. I was at one of my many local Wal*Marts tonight, and spent about 20 minutes in the Star Wars toy section. I baught a cool R2-A6 toy, Ric Olie’s R2 unit in Phantom Menace. When I was visiting Oregon about a week ago, I found a cool Planet of the Apes figure. It’s an Ape general with club and ape rifle. They have Dr. Zaus and Cornelius and all the other major characters. But the mother of all toys: SPAWN! Spawn figures are soooooo cool! Next time you’re at a toy store, see if they have Spawn. The detail is so… detailed. Kids must have no imagination of their own today, because these toys are cool.

Anyway, post your favorite childhood toys here. I don’t mean Lego or little green soldiers, but shoot-em-up, glow-in-the-dark, battaries-not-included, not for children under 3 years of age kinda cool toys. What did the Dopers play with?

transformers! gotta love em!

and gi joe

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

Anybody prefer Go-Bots to Transformers?

Everyone I knew regarded Go-Bots as generic Transformers.

Remember the Big Trak?

It was a six wheeled tank with a “laser” and a dump truck like trailer.

You programed the thing with the keypad on the back of it.

I used to drive my dog apeshit with that thing.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

My birthday’s coming up this month. With any luck my husband will get me the new PC microscope from IntelPlay!

No, I’m not in my second childhood - I never finished with my first! Yes, I am an old broad - but only chronologically, not mentally.

The most high tech toys of my childhood seem pretty quaint by today’s standards (remember Rock’m’Sock’m Robots?), but the coolest one I remember was the Whammo Air Blaster. It came in two models, the pistol and the bazooka, and it fire a ball of compressed air about four or five feet. Loads of fun with card houses, and the cat ran out of the room at the mere sight of it.

TT

“Believe those who seek the truth.
Doubt those who find it.” --Andre Gide

SST Racing Cars. You had them mounted on this ramp thingy and there was a pump on the ramp. When you pumped it the cars would get all revved up, you released them and they would tear out and travel about 30 yards. They also made a demolition derby version where you’d crash the cars into each other and the doors, hoods, and wheels would fly off! COOOOOL!!!

“Sticky Finger” a giant finger (about 18 inches) with a handle used for throwing and catching a ball.

“Cascade” a pointless “game” that provided an endless cycle of ball bearings being spiraled up to the top of a tower (about 18 inches, also), and droppped where they would bounce around on a series of drums.

Whee-lo, Whee-lo, Whee, it’s a lot of fun!

I had a bunch of plastic boomerangs. A bunch, because they were made of plastic, and didn’t last long. None looked like the bommerangs you normally see–these were shaped sorta like the letter “Y.”

If you around in the early 70s, you might remember Major Matt Mason, the astronaut. Along with his Moon Walker and Space base, you could collect his astronaut friends, aliens, and about a ton of extra equipment, vehicles and other space stuff. If I had one of everything in pristine condition, it would be worth a fortune as collectables. Unfortunately, Matt was made of rubber around a wire core, so in the course of normal use his limbs would eventually snap off due to metal fatigue.

Wow! Major Matt… I’d totally fogotten!

I betcha can’t find many of the “big” 70’s, GI Joe’s, cause if you were like me & my brother, they all ended up destroyed by adolescence.

Joe hurled off the roof with a poorly designed parachute.

Joe in his jeep hurtling down the embankment into traffic.

Joe on his secret mission into the garbage disposal.

Joe, who in a fatal design flaw, had hands that formed a perfect grip around a firecracker.

Oh well, at least he had a few flings with Malibu Barbie…

How about those magic rocks that would grow when you put them in water? way cool.

Frisbees, those red rockets that you pumped up with water and air, GI Joes, hotwheels cars and my favorite: Capsela! Anyone remember that one?

“I would far rather be ignorant than wise in the foreboding of evil.”

-Æschylus. 525-456 B. C.

Toys!

I used to get these stamped metal gas stations. My Dad had to put them together. They were all tabbed and slotted and pretty cool. Pretty big also. Today they would not be produced because the metal edges were sharp and I got cut often by handling them wrong.

GI Joe! When he first came out. I loved the little machine guns and grenades and stuff that went with him.

Cowboy and Indian stuff! (Politically INCORRECT now.) Cap guns, holsters, bright red cowboy hat, fringed gloves, plastic and metal rifles and sheriff badges. They had a toy rifle modeled after a real one that I’ve never found. It had a rotating revolver cylinder in it with plastic, realistic bullets you could put in.

Rocketship XL5. There was a puppet show on, dealing with space adventures and they sold a not very good plastic rocket that was pretty big and came apart into the two sections, like on the show.

Model rockets = but they were new and took so long to build that I was afraid to shoot them off and loose them (BACK THEN, FOR $25, ONE COULD BUY FROM THE BACK OF A CATALOGUE, A 2 1/2 FOOT LONG KEROSENE FUELED JET ENGINE! THEY SUGGESTED STRAPPING IT ONTO YOUR BIKE OR HOME MADE 4 WHEELED CART. IT TOOK AN AIR COMPRESSOR TO START IT AND THE DAMN THING PRODUCED SOMETHING LIKE 50 OR MORE POUNDS OF THRUST. TODAY, ABOUT A DOZEN OR SO PROTECTION GROUPS WOULD BAN IT AND LAWYERS WOULD BE LINED UP DROOLING FOR THE LAWSUITS IT WOULD CAUSE. IT HAD TO BE DANGEROUS, ESPECIALLY THE EXHAUST.)

A single speed, FAT tired bike! I lived on a dirt road and those BIG FAT tires (with white walls) were great for the soft sand.

Inexpensive models, like Flying Fortresses, Battleships, Submarines, Migs, Jets, tanks, and, of course CARS. They ranged from $1 to $5 for a big, complex model and many were quite detaled. I priced models today and almost fell over at the prices.

WHIP-FLY-IT model jets. A clever invention. Take one of the simpler and cheaper model jets, provide it with about 10 or 12 feet of strong cord and a touch of brown modeling clay. You assemble the jet, poke the clay into the left wing tip and nose for ballast, glue the string end around a post hidden in the right one. Then, the kid gets into a clear area and ‘whips’ the jet around his head in a circle! It looks like it is flying! I had many a happy battle out there by myself on the dirt roads and sand lots and lots of exciting crashes and ‘forced’ landings. (A plastic skid, salvaged from one of many left over parts from other model kits, glued to the bottom of the jet [after the not very sturdy landing gear had broken off about a dozen times and got lost] made an excellent landing attachment.)

The HYDRODYNAMIC BUILDING SET. A GREAT TOY. It was an assembly of plastic, interlocking I beams, gaskets of bright yellow and green, clear plastic tank parts, valves that worked and plastic tubes. You built various structures to hold the tanks on a plastic base, which held water and a pump. Then you added colored water and turned it on. The water flowed up the tubes, filled the tanks, flowed through various valves, to various tanks, even to some measured dippers and then back down to the pump. It was a great toy and just as variable as one’s imagination. They even provided a set to go with it where one could add on more I beam structures and cover them with thin plastic panels to make a building. It was too cool!

I’d like one today but they don’t make them any more.

Lastly, the old gory monster scene kits, like Frankenstein, the Mummy, Dracula and the ‘Karr-toonz’ rat-fink characters and their ‘funny’ cars, where they reached up through the roof to grab the shift knob and sat behind an enormous engine that stuck out of the whole front of the car. They used to be in Car magazine (or Hot-rod) until those rags became ‘sophisticated’.
(At least the nasty little finks didn’t DROOL all of the time like it seems every friggin’ cartoon character today has to do.)

Mark
“Think of it as Evolution in action.”

I almost forgot the most common toy most, if not all, of the kids I knew had. Green plastic Army Soldiers. You got about 1000 of them for a buck in a plastic bag and sometimes one or two might be silver or gray or even red. I think, buried somewhere in the clutter I refuse to throw out, even have one left.

Mark
“Think of it as Evolution in action.”

Oh yeah, the green army men. good one.