Tracks that mess up good albums

“Who Dunnit” ruined Genesis’ Abacab for me

Fitter Happier, off the otherwise perfect OK Computer, is the first thing that came to mind.

I agree with the previously nominated Money, as well. I’m one of the people who actually loves that track, but it is totally out of place on Dark Side of the Moon.

I’ve skipped “The Long and Winding Road” many times.

Operator, You Got The Silver and Here Comes The Sun are all great songs. She’s Leaving Home is one of the finest Beatle’s songs.

In fact, since their introduction, many CD players have had the ability to automatically play a CD in custom order or skip specific tracks. I’ve got one with a 590 CD capacity that will play each one exactly the way I want. In fact, I have two of those wired up in series so the music never pauses.

I agree with Pine Fresh Scent. Synchronicity is a fantastic album, except for that wretched “Mother” track. The rest of the album is so good, though, it still remains one of my favorite even with “Mother.”

Oh sure…disparage Paul Simenon’s one contribution!

These are all good calls.

This is not.

As for my contribution, Elvis Costello’s “King of America” would be THE perfect album if you excluded his execrable, whining, uncalled-for cover of “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood.”

“Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” is the true turd of Abbey Road.

“Let Me Take You Home Tonight” was the track I always skipped on Boston.

No love (or hate) for Pearl Jam’s “Hey Foxymophandlemama, That’s Me” from Vitalogy? I think I’ve listened to that Album hundreds of times, but I may have only made it through that track once.

Beaten TWICE to it LOL…

Okay… I’ll ante up “She’s so fine” a weak track that Hendrix allowed on Axis bold as love as a nod to Noel Redding…

He didn’t deserve it… After a stunning song like Castles… I use to hop up and move the needle on…

C’mon, no hate for Yellow Submarine on the otherwise astoundingly good Revolver album? McCartney should have had his knighthood stripped for that clunker and somebody should have garroted Ringo before he sang it (or anything else, for that matter).

Bob Dylan singing Scarborough Fair in a duet with a croaking and off-key Johnny Cash on Nashville Skyline.

Mother’s Lament on Cream’s Grammy-winning Disraeli Gears album. Truly, what the fuck was that?

I’m on the Revolution Number 9 train. First song I thought of reading the OP.

One thing I’ve learned over 40 years is that almost everybody has a higher opinion of Greg Lake than I do. My loss, perhaps.

Money is OK, but I’ve never got through A Great Gig in the Sky, once that excruciating wailing starts - click

If it’s any consolation for the fact that I dislike a song that you like, I’ve had “Operator” stuck in my head for the last two days.

Agree with Revolution 9, My Ding-a-ling, Alabama Song, Motorcycle Mama and would like to add “Happy Trails” from Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Now that people have mentioned it I have to agree with Alabama Song. I actually like the song, but it is very out of place on the album. It’s like the album stops, another album from a different group comes on, and then the album starts up again.

I can’t agree with “Revolution 9” fitting the OP, because that would mean that you think “Wild Honey Pie” DOESN’T mess up the album.

In other words, the White Album has not one but rather several low points that should have been axed.

ETA: Oops, I see now the OP wasn’t actually necessarily asking for the situation when it’s just ONE trackthat messes up the album.

^^^^ this, for sure.
Pink Floyd had a few albums with really bad single tracks, the kind you’d leap over coffee tables to stop the tape back in the day.

Meddle’s side one ended with “Seamus”, treating us to howling doggie-music

Obscured by Clouds had that bewildering out-of-tune-with-each-other thing with the a capella bleating singers at the end of “Absolutely Curtains” which wasn’t bad for the first 10 seconds or so but just kept going and going.

Only my kids’ favorite bathtub song when they were 2 and 3: “We want the BabyDownThePlugHole song!” And I had to sing it in that cockney-in-his-cups accent.

Hey, at least it was at the end of the album. I have a lot more patience with a throwaway ditty (like Her Majesty) if it’s at the end.
Sort of “Okay, record’s done. Oh, but there’s this, just us having fun, someone might like it”.

Like my kids!
“A muvver was warshing her bayby one noight…”