Tracks that mess up good albums

Oh come on, Seamus is great. The guys just have a sense of humour that’s all. I like the Mademoiselle Knobs version from the Pompeii video. Poor dog doesn’t seem that impressed with Gilmour’s harmonica skills.

Speaking of R.E.M., I’d like to nominate “The Wrong Child” off Green.

That was indeed horrible, but it’s not “Scarborough Fair”; it’s Dylan’s own rewrite of that song, “Girl from the North Country”, which originally appeared on The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan.

Man Size Sextet on PJ Harvey’s Rid of Me. It’s pointless and there were some awesome B-sides that could have made the album in its place.

Great song, IMHO. Unsentimental, yet heartbreaking, lyrics of a disabled child’s thoughts, set to a simple but appropriate mandolin and vocal performance.

The only song I dislike on that album is “I Remember California”. Even the unnamed track is more interesting. (“Stand” is pretty annoying, now that I think about it.)

*The Baby Song * on Husker Du’s Flip Your Wig. Awful slide whistle crap on an otherwise great record.

Thanks for the correction. It’s not a bad song, but that was one awful duet.

OK, that’s almost creepy. I had forgotten there’d been a previous thread and I nominated exactly the same two songs. It’s like an autonomic response or something! :eek:

Also from Husker Du, “How to Skin a Cat” on New Day Rising. Ugh.

Hahaha and soon you will like it :wink: I will say it doesn’t have the same vibe as AB. It would have been more at home on Workingman’s Dead.

Ooh, that’s a good one. That reminds me, didn’t Pearl Jam have some weird, random shout-song about bugs?

I’ve always felt that Fortune Teller was the clunker on (one of the umpteen re-issues of) Live At Leeds.

Yup, it’s on Vitalogy as well, but it’s not nearly as bad as “Hey foxymophandlemomma, that’s me,” and not nearly as long.

“Within Without You” on The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band and “Love To You” on Revolver. I really, really dislike their sitar songs. To make matters worse “Within” the longest song on the album besides A Day in the Life.

It is not a bad song, but the original version is ruined by the dreadful schmaltzly strings that Phil Spector ladled all over it. The Naked version is much better.

Even in the Spector version, though, I have trouble seeing this as the one track that spoils a good album. “Let It Be” is not a good album, and has several tracks markedly worse than “The Long and Winding Road”.

You guys are crazy. Those are both great songs. There is a stinker on Abbey Road, though: “Oh! Darling,” an unremarkable tune, and a forced sounding vocal that seems to be desperately trying to invest the vapid and repetitive lyrics with ersatz soulfulness. (I have wondered if the song is meant to be some sort of parody, but it does not work, even as that.)

“I Want You (She’s so Heavy)” goes on a bit long too, and I am sure some people have bad things to say about about “Octopus’s Garden,” but even with them, “Abbey Road” is a great album (unlike even the “naked” version of “Let it Be”), and “Here Comes the Sun” and “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” both contribute significantly to its greatness.

There are a couple outtakes from '85 (“Erase Today”, released on the Blasting Concept Vol. 2 compilation and “Stop To Listen”, unreleased) that both rock, and would have vastly improved on “How To Skin A Cat” and “The Baby Song”.

I was thinking of “Electioneering” – I don’t think I’ve made it past 0:15 before skipping to the next song.

“Black Hair” on Nick Cave’s The Boatman’s Call. I gather it’s supposed to be gut-wrenchingly emotional, but it’s so ridiculously over the top it makes me cringe and dive for the forward button.

“Kommienezuspadt” off of Tom Waits’ Alice. On any other album it would be standard Waits-as-a-noisy-carnival-barker fare, but the rest of the album is so melancholy and exquisitely melodic that it is really jarring and unwelcome.

Rammstein’s Reise, Reise album is one of my favorites for rocking out in the car, but I hate hate hate the placement of “Mein Teil”. The ending of the first song is very long, gradual and softening, and then Mein Teil starts with a very harsh loud intro. I think there’s something about that specific intro, perhaps some tone or note, because it actually hurts my ears and agitates me (in a bad way), no matter the volume.

Shame, because I was so excited they made a song about the infamous German cannibal who advertised for a victim. :smiley:

[sub]Though I think that Reise, Reise and Rosenrot got all jumbled together. I have a custom playlist, “Reisenrot”, that blends the best (IMO of course) of both albums. [/sub]

I think Stage Fright is one of The Band’s better albums, and it’d be that much better without All La Glory. I can’t fault Robbie Robertson for writing a song about his newborn daughter, but I can fault him for writing a bland song, and even worse, singing it himself. He has one of the least musical voices I’ve ever heard and The Band had three singers with memorable voices.

Definitely the weakest track on that album. I assumed they included it just to keep Pigpen involved. His health was fading at that point and the band was moving away from the bluesy stuff he’d brought to the table, so they probably felt they needed to throw him a bone.

Swing On This isn’t great but it never bothered me much. Love Song shouldn’t be on the album (you notice they didn’t include a gag track like that on Jar of Flies). In fact I deleted it from my iTunes a while ago. I might want to listen to Sap, but I’ve never had an itch to hear that song. And yes, both albums are great.

Superman has to be the pick there, IMO.

The song is OK, but yes, the history lesson part feels like it lasts forever. And terms like “red man” have not aged well, which doesn’t help.

Nah. You can’t sit there and rock out to it, but I think it sums up the vibe and the themes of the album. For that matter Karma Police segues into Fitter Happier and Fitter Happier goes into Electioneering, but I don’t think it would sound right if it went straight from the noisy ending of Karma Police to the rattlesnake tambourine at the beginning of Electioneering. Electioneering is the track that got me into Radiohead and years later I think it almost has to be the weakest track on that album, qualified statement though that may be.

Ugh, yes. This thread reminded me to delete that song, too. Cream recorded some of the dumbest stuff I’ve ever heard - I assume their intake of world class drugs is to blame. I think every album has at least one song that is just bewilderingly bad. Usually it’s the stuff Ginger Baker sang.

Since someone else mentioned PJ Harvey, I have most of her music and I bought “Uh Huh Her” when it came out on CD. I listened to it for a few times, and was astounded at how bad the track “Who the Fuck” was. I felt that the CD was not that good at all. Eventually I transferred it to my iPod, but I left off “Who the Fuck” because I hated it. Turns out that without that song the rest of the CD is pretty good. I think that I hated the song so much that it made me hate the next few songs too due to carryover effect.