Tramp Stamp poll

I can only speak for myself but not all tattoos are “making a statement”. Obviously I’m in a very small minority, but to me they just really aren’t that big a deal. None of mine have any meaning whatsoever other than that they’re creations by an artist I respect.

I can’t imagine myself liking someone who would care so I don’t foresee that ever being a problem.

I’m not exactly a spring chicken (45) and I’ve changed A LOT in the last twenty years but I’ve never regretted my tattoos (on the few occasions I even think about them.)

Also, I’m not seeing how the lower back is the most sagging prone part of the body. I’d say that’s probably where I have the least amount of flesh. Not sayin I have the body of a twenty-something, but my tattoo looks the same it did on the day I got it done.

You may have just changed my mind! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, young people suck for lots of reasons as well. But I’m not sure I understand how anyone of any age can (or would even find the power) to care about an image on someone’s body. If the image is itself offensive, fine. Otherwise, any kind of preference for “untarnished” skin is a cultural thing. In the West especially, where there is so much co-mingling of various cultural signifiers, it seems very strange to me that tattoos would still be an issue. Frankly when I see someone with tattoos, I don’t really “see” the tattoos. That person doesn’t become a person-who-is-not-tattooed. They don’t become uglier or “low class” or any other thing people have been saying here, including when the tattoo is above their crack.

That’s directed at more than just you, obviously. But maybe I’m expecting too much of people here, or asking for too much assimilationist thought. It may be that people’s culture informs their negative view of tattoos more generally (which I don’t forgive or accept but at least recognize). It may be something more complex than that. Either way, it strikes me as very strange and simple to care even a little bit about some kind of image on someone’s body with the caveat that it’s less acceptable because it doesn’t wash off or can’t be exchanged for another image (like clothing can, for example).

Ignorance fought, thanks y’all. When I first saw one of these (circular tattoo just above the tail bone) I was told that it was a lady’s way of announcing that she enjoyed, erm, anterior entry.

And while that’s none of my business, and I have no problem with tattoos in general*, I certainly did judge her for feeling the need to announce this publicly. I have maybe seen four or five in my life just displayed in public that way, so this was not terribly hard to believe.

So, I never assumed “whore” or anything, but I did assume “inappropriately announcing sexual preferences” and so would not have gone out of my way to make friends.

Glad you set me straight.

*As with all art, taste are personal, and I like some and dislike others, and some just don’t hit me one way or the other.

My favorite answer: “I don’t mind ‘em. Gives ya somethin’ to read.”

Yeah. If the popular media and tabloid press have taught us one thing, it’s that few people care what other people’s bodies look like.

I have always just found body mutilation in any form to be instinctively repulsive ever since I was a little kid. That goes for those African women that stretch their necks out with stacks of rings as well as sorority girls with tattoos of any size or style. There is no value judgement involved. It is just disgusting to me and lots of other people. Tattoos are a deal-breaker for me when it comes to dating. I won’t tolerate them a romantic interest any more than I would them sawing off their leg at the knee. It just isn’t my thing.

I think you’re really stretching your definition of body mutilation there, especially in terms of tattoos. It also seems really weird that your hang up about a picture on someone’s body would dismiss every other characteristic they have–but hey, it’s your life I guess.

Some people get tattoos as a cry for attention. I just saw this woman crossing the street the other day with her thighs covered in tattoos, wearing hot pants. Her thighs were as thick as her head and covered in what appeared to be cellulose that actually looked like scars. Overall, I think she had some issues with personal hygiene as well. I think she was trying to show off her tattoos, but forgot to look at what the tattoos were on. I was so distracted by the ugliness of her thighs that I didn’t even notice what the tattoo depicted.

I think people who get tattoos as a form of body art are fine. Those that try to shove it into people’s faces are disturbed. I can see a bunch of future cat ladies with sagging tramp stamps wearing tube tops.

It’s still weird that you would have to “try very hard” not to judge someone for having a tattoo. And I really, really hate the look of those gauge ear piercings because I think they look gross, but I don’t have to *try *not to judge a person for having one, because all it means is that they have different taste than I do (and they’re a lot less squeamish), not really anything about their character.

One big reason that I don’t have any tattoos is because of my father and his cronies. Enough men who served with him in the Pacific got some art. It was usually crudely done, and by the 1960s (when I was old enough to notice) they had faded and bled to the point that the original art was unrecognizable. Black and green bruise-like smudges that might have been a bathing beauty or an anchor at one time. No thank you.

Now, I know that ink technology has improved, and there are some real artists doing tattoos in every city, but early exposure has set my attitude. (That is not to say that I give a damn what *you *do to your skin.)

Things have changed indeed. I’m 50, and have never dated a girl with any tatoo at all.

As long as it says “My name is Brandi” (or whatever) I’m good.

I think the Tramp Stamp Zone is an area that lends itself well to inky adornment. When I see a woman with a tramp stamp, I make no assumptions about her sexuality or availability, other than maybe an overtly sexual one advertising the wearers desire to attract sex partners…something I’ve not seen in real life.

I judge them as I judge all other tattoos:

1. Is it well done?
  2. Is it interesting?
    If the woman wearing it is otherwise attractive to me…
  3. Does it enhance or detract from her attractiveness?

I would not hesitate to date a woman with a good looking (to me), non-offensive tramp stamp.

Does copper even show up on your skin? When I got mine, the guy was like, “your options are black, blue or green.”

36% of Americans under 30 have or had at least one.

If tattoos are considered ‘art’ by their proponents then I can’t be wrong because it is all subjective. Let’s put it this way, a tattoo on anyone is never a positive in my view. A really attractive person could get away with a small or hidden tattoo if they are really attractive and have a good personality otherwise.

However, once you get to the body mutilation level and attention whoring of a tramp stamp, a half-sleeve, or heaven forbid a full arm sleeve, you just become like any other gimp to me and they are all the same level of attractiveness - 0. You just turned your body into the equivalent of a side of a bridge where trashy people spray-paint graffiti while under the influence. It is not a value judgement and I didn’t accuse you of anything. It is just remarkably repulsive to some people.

I always admired rock stars and other alternative types that don’t show any visible tattoos. That is becoming the way to truly stand out and be different.

I want you. I don’t care about yoru body.

Yeah, but have you ever put a pretty sparkly hair clip in the back of your bun? Maybe everyone won’t like it…but some people will, and those are the types of people who probably share your sense of style. The clip isn’t for you to look at, but it allows you to express your style and have a connection with others who share it.

One of my favorite things is when another woman compliments my shoes. I love that because I have a thing for pretty shoes and I love when I meet someone who shares my opinion about them. It’s fun. Some people with tattoos may not care what you or I think of them, but they have friends and a social circle and people who are into their little slice of culture and music and art…they like it when their tats are appreciated by those people, so it isn’t unusual for them to put some art on their backs, or whatever.

Just using your point to jump off on, though. Because I have heard others wonder why someone bothers to get a tat on their back, and I figured they may not have thought of that. I personally don’t have a lower back tattoo, but I see them all of the time. Some are truly awful, but it never occurred to me to take the stupid ‘tramp stamp’ nickname seriously and judge the woman on that. Not that I would judge a ‘tramp’ anyway.

ETA: Really Not All That Bright, at least you had a trio to choose from. There was a sign at the tattoo shop I went to, “I don’t do color tattoos on black customers, so don’t ask”.

I don’t like tattoos, I don’t think they’re attractive on anyone, and I have no problem with people thinking I’m judgemental. (I don’t think anyone is surprised at this point by my posting this.) Tramps stamps are no different - if it’s a tattoo, I don’t care for it. I guess in some ways I’m less judgemental - I hate all of them. :smiley:

Thinking tattoos are unattractive is not inappropriately judgmental. Thinking that people with tattoos are tramps/criminals/idiots/etc." is.