Transgender dating

That’s one of the most beautiful affirmations of support I’ve ever seen.

Wow. Just, wow. Excellent example of how little you can tell about someone based solely on their writing style on messageboards.

I never would have thought Eve was (had been?) tg. I guess this is an examle of assuming others share my own outlook. While I have tg leanings, for me it’s all about the fantasy of the transition itself, I don’t identify myself as a woman in any form; I just enjoy thinking about “what it would be like.” Even though I knew better, I guess I kinda believed that an mtf tg would still basically talk or act like a guy, just that they wanted to live a woman’s life.

By the way, you (Eve) are one of my favorite posters on the SDMB.

As to the OP; I’m bi*, so maybe I don’t count for this, but I would only really have a problem if they were a very poor transition, as in very mannish and unnatractive. But they could be pre-op and I’d have no problem as long as they were feminine (see below); post-op, I wouldn’t really care. Although it might be kind of odd if I knew them before they even began transitioning (an old school-friend of mine is a woman now, but we had both dropped out of highschool and gotten GED’s before I found out, so I haven’t seen her).

*Sort of; I don’t really find male characteristics attractive, but the idea of having sex with someone with male genitalia is just as appealing to me as making-love with a woman. In terms of tg fantasies, a little more so (allows for a “big-finish” in the fantasy). I have seen this called “cock-bi” on the internet before. :o

Hon, my mom makes that look sexy and 3 of the last 5 times I’ve taken her to the movies she’s asked me to change seats because a guy was hitting on her.

I swing both ways, and actually have a bit of real-life experience with this. My husband has at various times considered various degrees of transition.

I love my husband; I will love him no matter what he decides to do. However, I found that the concept of his becoming an entirely new person (taking a new name, particularly) is a little bit frightening. It’s not really the gender thing; I’d have the same reaction if I found out that he was planning on quitting his job, becoming a stockbroker, and changing his name to Craig. I become afraid that the person that I have met, and married, and loved, is going to go away, and someone else is going to take his place. This was not something that I expected to feel; I suspect that it plays into abandonment issues that I have. Still, though, it’s very daunting, and I do ask for reassurances that I will continue to be his partner in all things–which, incidentally, he’s given.

Had he already transitioned when we met, I wouldn’t be having these issues, as there would be nothing to be insecure about. Actually, knowing me, I’d probably find something to be insecure about, but it wouldn’t be that.