Trashcan Man's song from "The Stand"

I’m re-reading The Stand - the extended edition, which I’ve been meaning to read for, oh, ten years. Kindle Edition for $3.95 was just the ticket!

Anyway, throughout the book, Trashcan Man sings to himself Tower of Power’s song about Cibola. I don’t think that’s the name of the song - but it goes something like “Cibola bumpity bumpity bump.”

Can anyone tell me the name of the song? I’d like to hear it for myself.

I can’t, but I can say that i much prefer the streamlined edition of The Stand, having read both. It’s been a while, but I’d be interested to know what you think.

Sorry if you saw this post and thought I had the answers!

Well, it’s been years since I read the normal version, so I can’t really remember. But so far I’m liking the version I’m reading. It does seem to have some added bits, like the whole scene with Trashcan and The Kid - was that in the original?

I’m not totally sure, but I’m guessing the song King was alluding to is “Bump City,” usually referred to as “Down To The Nightclub.”

That’s a real song? I thought it was just lunatic ramblings!

I prefer the extended (or “real”) version of The Stand to the abridged version.

The Kid isn’t in the original version at all.

I like the extended version as well. The Kid is creepy as hell.

I didn’t know that was a real song either! Is Trashcan Man singing it correctly in the miniseries version?

“What’d ole lady Semple say when you lit up her pension check, Trash?”
“M-O-O-N, that spells moon. Laws, yes.”

Maybe I should open a thread with Stephen King quotes…

Well, he is, sort of. The description of his corpse wasn’t cut when the rest of his storyline was.

Where is that?

I definitely prefer the original.

It’s been forever since I read it, so I’m going on memory.

When the heroes are heading into Vegas, they run across his corpse.

IIRC it is either going into or out of the Eisenhower tunnel that he is found by the guys (Stu, Larry, etc) heading out to Vegas.

I thought it was Harold’s body they ran across.

No, it’s the Kid, who goes out fighting with a wolf, and gets dubbed the ‘Wolfman’ by the heroes.

I don’t think they ever find Harold’s body, but, again, it’s been a long time since I read it, so I might be misremembering - but he definitely wasn’t the Wolfman.

I had to break out my old dogeared copy of THE STAND*.

They do come across Harold’s body the day after they leave the Eisenhower tunnel.

page 1026 Of the paperback edition.

*The complete and uncut version

I finally got my head out of my butt and realized I’m reading it on the KINDLE which has a SEARCH feature :smack:

And sure enough, it says that he’s singing to the tun of “Down To The Nightclub.” The words are obviously different.

I can’t remember if the series had the tune right or not. I just ordered the DVD set, so I’ll know in a week or so.