Travel/Entertainment Tips for the Big Folks?

I am also pretty heavy, and I have found that when I fly (AA, always with AA…they are fantastic) I have to be careful about the size of the plane I fly on. Every time I fly on a 737 I am uncomfortably squished, but if I fly on an M80 I have enough room to be fat without bothering the people next to me or being uncomfortable myself. I understand it is not fun to sit next to people who take up more than their fair share of space so when I can help it I try to make sure it isn’t a problem for me or anyone else. I wish people with screaming children would be so courteous of others.

You may already know this, but airlines offer a seat-belt extender which, well, extends the seat belt. For us female-type people who gain all of our mass in the butt/thigh, it’s a lifesaver.

I only overflow when my boyfriend’s sitting next to me - he enjoys it.

mischievous

Of course, airlines who cram their seats too close together and make them too narrow are also partly to blame for this.

I once went round-trip Toronto to Vancouver on Canada 3000, an airline that should have been called “Pack 'Em In Airlines”. I’m 5’-10", 175 cm, almost exactly the average hight for Canadian men, and when I shoved my butt back in my seat, my knees lightly brushed the seat in front of me. Furthermore, I could feel the width of my butt prerssing against both sides of the seat. I had to swivel to get at the seatbelt.

My father is 6’-2". He simply could not have fit in that seat.

Not only that, but coming back from Vancouver, I had a head cold, with blocked sinuses and Eustacian tubes, and every time the plane went up or came down, the pain was excruciating. (I honestly wasn’t expecting it. I’d never flown witrh a cold before; how bad could it be?) And the flight made an intermediate stop in Winnipeg.

I asked the flight attendant whether she had a headache pill, and she said she could do nothing for me.

Canada 3000 went bankrupt and is no more.

What are we supposed to do with our screaming children? Take them outside?