Travelling across the country.

So I’ve gone stir-crazy, quit my job, and now I’m planning on travelling across the U.S. to start my life anew. I’ll be travelling from Dallas to Butte, Montana; all the times I’ve migrated, I’ve used a Greyhound, but this time I’m going to have the luxury of a car. So does anyone have any suggestions on how I can soak in most of the country, while still mainting a slightly-relatively-kind of straight path? The most scenic route, if you will.

And, if you’re feeling particularly generous, help me figure out how to transport my cat without him going insane in such a confined space?

Yahoo maps actually has a pretty decent route.

Following the Missouri up from Topeka to I-90 and driving across SoDak to the Badlands and Black Hills might be a nice diversion and not TOO far out of the way.

As for the cat…drive alone, have someone else ship it, cos you’re screwed there.

Have you traveled with the cat before? I made a cat playroom in the back of my Explorer when I drove them from Florida to New Hampshire and one of them still cried the whole way. I folded down the back seats, blocked the ways into the front seats, and gave them cat beds, food, water, and a litter box back there and it didn’t matter. Meow Meeeeooow MEEEOOOOW for fifteen-hundred miles. When I pulled over to sleep kitty got moved to the cat carrier in the U-haul just so I could have some quiet.

As for seeing the country on your trip, the middle America route is good but if you’re a blue state kind of person you could go west and up the coast. You’ve got I-5 as your main north-south route but you can take plenty of side loops west to the coastal cities. I think there’s more variety and milder weather on the coastal route but that’s just my opinion.

Have you traveled with the cat before? I made a cat playroom in the back of my Explorer when I drove them from Florida to New Hampshire and one of them still cried the whole way. I folded down the back seats, blocked the ways into the front seats, and gave them cat beds, food, water, and a litter box back there and it didn’t matter. Meow Meeeeooow MEEEOOOOW for fifteen-hundred miles. When I pulled over to sleep kitty got moved to the cat carrier in the U-haul just so I could have some quiet.

As for seeing the country on your trip, the middle America route is good but if you’re a blue state kind of person you could go west and up the coast. You’ve got I-5 as your main north-south route but you can take plenty of side loops west to the coastal cities. I think there’s more variety and milder weather on the coastal route but that’s just my opinion.

First, find a good home for your cat. :smiley:

Then, 35 N to Oklahoma City, west on the 40 through Amarillo and then go north on 285 just before Albuquerque. Stay in Santa Fe for the night at a little b&b or go camping.

Then, you can go north two ways: the 285 north or the 25 (south a few miles) to the 44 to the 550 north. Both hit the 160, where you should turn west. Either way is beautiful country and will take you through Durango, Colo., one of my favorite places on Earth.

Continue west on 160 to visit Mesa Verde National Park, then northwest on 666 - the Devil’s Highway - to 191 and then to Canyonlands. Or from Durango, go north on 550 over a couple of the most amazing mountain passes you have ever seen. Both routes take you to the 70. When you get yourself there, take the 139 north to Dinosaur National Monument. You will be amazed.

Keep heading north from Dinosaur to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, but avoid driving through Yellowstone’s well-traveled routes - you’ll be disappointed. It’s nothing but slow-moving tourists and giant exhaust-belching motor homes.

Head north on 191 to Bozeman (where you should stop to fish - what a beautimous route!!), then hang a left on the 90. Next stop, Butte, Mont.