Treadmill performance predicts mortality

Johns Hopkins cardiologists report they have developed a formula that estimates one’s risk of dying over a decade based on a person’s ability to exercise on a treadmill at an increasing speed and incline.

Is there a chart available for this FIT treadmill test that would allow individuals to take this test at home using their own treadmill?

Apparently for $35, you can buy the article and the included chart. It does not appear to be included in the abstract or any of the press releases.

ETA: It is unclear exactly how helpful that information would be. If it is just one data point, it boils down to the better your cardiovascular fitness, the longer you are expect to live. You do not need a chart to tell you that.

I gather that this single data point (about the individual person) is compared, sort of actuarially, to the data they collected from a lot of other people. So in a similar way that they can say that if you are a 65 year old male you are likely to live X more years, now they can say that if you are a 65 year old male who had Y performance on the treadmill test you are likely to live Z more years. So in that sense, it’s an *additional *data point.

You might be able to figure out how to calculate your number here:

My treadmill only goes up to a 15% incline. The test goes to 16%, 18% 20% and then 22%.

Who has a treadmill that goes up to a 22% incline? Do they mean 2.2% incline?

Can one even walk at such an incline? It seems like it would be similar to walking up a very steep mountain side.

I’m a plane… how do I rate?