Trolls R Us Resurrections

Asuka really is just here to fap, aren’t they? They can even turn a (mostly) sports-related GR thread into a fapfest:

That post is a good example of something to flag. It looks very off-topic and offensive to me. I did flag it by the way.

I wasn’t sure it was flaggable, my recent flag-to-modding ratio has been very low and I don’t hang out in GR much so not sure of the mores. But thanks for that.

Fair enough, I flagged it and it might still get rejected.

I’m doing something out of character for this thread and asking someone to visit, because a recent post felt really, REALLY trolly to me, and I may be misreading the intent.

@elbows, could I have a moment?

I was reading your AK-47 buyback thread in IMHO, and if you weren’t a charter member with years on the board I’d have screamed trock/troll. From the super energetic tone, the cents-on-the-dollar pricing, and the cheap shot and sending it all the the Ukraine, it felt like someone chumming the water. Especially with the big ‘what’s you idea at the end’.

Now, I could be utterly wrong. Which is why I actually wanted to ask you here. I could be misreading you (you meant it as semi-sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek), in which case, I strongly suggest you return to the thread and clear it up. It was Saturday night and you might have accidently made it more trolly than intended, with the same solution. Or you could be enraged at the circumstances and posted something that while troll-bait was something of a moment of passion.

No matter what, I don’t see the thread going well, so if anything I’ve said makes sense, drop by there/here and maybe save the mods a dozen extra flags.

ETA - it was bad earlier, and it’s getting rapidly worse. Despite some people (Stranger especially) really taking it seriously and explaining all the ways it’s a bad premise.

elbows is no troll. She does tend to harp on how bad the US is, but I imagine most dopers from other counties also feel the same way, just less gleefully. Her suggestions can be misguided, if well meant.

Thank you @needscoffee, then I’ll chalk this one up to that while the results and impression may be bad, the intent was good at least.

I was betting on some variant of that, which I hopefully made clear.

We return you to your regularly scheduled troll/trock tracking station.

Never visit Cafe Society?

Here is my try at an inflatable demigod:

https://creator.nightcafe.studio/creation/l0nFD8NZqowU100TkrrN

That’s hardly on elbows, though, as they haven’t been the one keeping it going.

They aren’t stirring the pot in any way, correct. But the reason I brought up the thread in the first case was that it was very much like classic trock threads where someone throws a semi-innocuous what if/what do you think (often using those exact words) on a hugely charged subject and disappear.

Yes, the people taking the bait are the ones that are driving it in an ugly direction, but -this thread- is about identifying the sorts of individuals who drop such undetonated bombs.

Again, to be clear, I am not familiar with elbows body of work, and it seemed that if they were in the habit of such things they would have showed up at least once in this or the prior thread, so I did my best to ask politely and give examples of ways I could have misconstrued the intent.

And more. My favorite is the Dan Witz/Mark Ryden/Margaret Keane/Zdzisław Beksiński.

Honestly if there weren’t so many active gun related threads at the moment, I would probably have left that thread alone and not closed it. But it was already heating up and built off an unrealistic speculation. I closed another gun thread very recently for the same reason.

Here is the other similar gun fantasy thread I closed:

And to go completely meta, my thread to discuss gun threads and how often they get hijacked, got completely hijacked. I probably should have handed out warnings but instead opted to close my own thread.

Thank you @What_Exit, I’m sorry your efforts to discuss ways to mitigate the … creep … of gun threads to date was thwarted and I’ve been trying very hard to not take the bait in a lot of such threads, thus my flag.

I do think some of the more theoretical threads (like Babale’s on the nature of rights) have been thought provoking, but most of the others…

ETA - and as I was responding with my regrets, you were acknowledging your own. :frowning_face:

I agree on Babale’s and I’m happy to say the Police thread with Mods riding herd has been productive and not hijacked in the normal way by the usual suspects. I’m not sure about the other gun and shooting threads, I’ve not been following them. But I think they’re going better than normal, based on the amount of flags generated.

That looks like a Tim Burton bobble head.

Nice grab on the newest thread (we’re going for hydra levels today).

Which was sad, because I think intelligent discussion could have been had on several of the points, but the editorializing paragraphs after the points were . . . pointed. And we already have a half dozen (or more) active threads on the subject including the de facto ones in the Pit.

The only way to stop a bad gun thread is a good gun thread.

The “Police response…” thread is… well, mildly entertaining seems an inappropriate thing to say about such a horrible event. But “Hagfish” Magiver, who appears to be disagreeing with anything anyone says just for the sake of arguing, has been caught doing a seamless 180 within a dozen posts or so. Equally adamant when expressing two precisely opposite opinions that anyone who disagrees with him is clueless.

You should have seen them in the Champlain Towers South thread.

Dunning-Kruger personified.