True or false: "Soldiers tend to intentionally fire over the enemy's head, or not to fire at all."

Ahem. We know. :wink:

Sorry about kicking the old thread, I just wandered in here and I had two pennies I wanted to get rid of - here’s my two cents.

I was infantry in Vietnam. This was fairly late in the war, 1970/71. I CERTAINLY agree with the comment quoted above. We were trained to aim at ‘center mass.’ That’s probably because of two things - if you’re off a bit, it can still be a fatal or very serious shot. Second, often, we don’t really SEE the people we’re shooting at - at least in terms of ‘let me shoot him in the left kneecap…’ OK, Annie Oakley, you go right ahead. Also, (remember that I was there late in the war and the drug problem was worse then) NO ONE smoked dope in the field. It simply wasn’t acceptable - and the odor is strong enough that we would have known.

In terms of the overall thread here, a friend (Marine officer) in my vet’s group says that he checked the weapons of his troops after a firefight, looking for cold barrels. He wanted to make sure that everyone was at least firing.

I was Army. In my first firefight, I did NOT initially fire. I was looking for a target - I didn’t see anyone, anything (e.g. muzzle flashes, moving brush) to shoot at. Although it seemed longer at the time, I think that lasted only about five seconds and then I started firing into the brush at places that LOOKED like they might make OK hiding places. I was firing semi-automatic and emptied two magazines (36 shots, as we put only 18 into the 20 round clip). Then the firing quieted down and I also stopped shooting.

Later when I actually SAW an enemy soldier, I did not hesitate to shoot him aiming for center mass. He died immediately. I can’t speak for others,but my opinion would be that after you see friendlies killed or wounded, you shoot to kill. My ‘ghosts’ from the war relate to friendly casualties and NOT to dead enemy. I’m not trying to convince anyone (including me) that I’m a hard ass. It was more that shooting the enemy was what I was there for - it was my job. It didn’t take any/much effort for me to just shoot them. But the people I knew who were killed or wounded - that still haunts me.