Trump and the hostile press

Enjoy pressing the Report this post button if you feel so strongly that I’ve sullied the board you’re tempted to pop a mod hat on, friend.

I remember when Dan Rather stood up to ask Richard Nixon a question during Watergate and the room broke out in jeers and applause. Nixon asked, “Mr. Rather, are you running for something?” Rather responded, “No, sir, Mr. President. Are you?”

I would really like you to compare how the press is treating these allegations compared to the birtherism allegation (which was in the news for years!) and Benghazi, whichwas investigated by at least 12 different government bodies before the end of 2014 without finding anything that could be pinned on Clinton, yet it still was a huge topic for the press in 2016. What is different about the behavior now compared to those two topics? I am really curious why in this case it is unacceptable, but then it was OK. Is it because your ox is being gored? Are these charges less serious?

I think the media is being entirely fair to Trump, personally. Trump was right to go off on CNN, who I’ve taken to the Pit for their lack of journalistic standards these days, but everyone else in the MSM is doing just fine as far as I’m concerned.

You used the wrong pronoun there. Don’t say “they” - you’re the one who started this thread with a whiny and butthurt OP.

And the press is doing their job. Reports that a President Elect may be vulnerable to foreign blackmail is newsworthy by any possible standard. Even if the reports are false, they should be aired out so they can be cleared up.

Finally, Trump - a man who has publicly made dozens of unsubstantiated allegations - has no grounds to complain when one is made against him.

Yeah. I was a journalism student during the Watergate era, and we studied Nixon’s press conferences like a catalog course. Trump’s blowhard blustering is nothing like the genuine hostility between Nixon and the White House press corps.

The press didn’t say anything bad about him until mid-September, after he pulled the bait-and-switch press conference that was supposed to be about birtherism but turned into an extended infomercial for his new hotel, and then he ditched them for the tour of the hotel. Before that, he got a lot of coverage, but it wasn’t negative. The press did a lot to normalize Trump’s abominable behavior. Then there was this: MSNBC, CNN. And Fox News Ignore Hillary Clinton Speech To Show Trump's Empty Podium. And then CNN hired Corey Lewandowski (while he was still working for Trump in secret). The major news outlets are still putting Trump’s outright lies in the headlines. Many of the major news organizations have had off-the-record meetings with Trump. That should make us all really nervous.

EVERYBODY COOL IT.

This is not the pit. The posts below all violate board standards. Other posts are skirting the line.

**Discuss this topic is a cool and appropriate way or I will start handing out warnings.
I will have no patience for people who get one more dig in, claiming to not have seen this post.

(Deleted after seeing mod message)

Obeyed the first amendment, near as I can tell.

(Deleted after seeing mod message and running screaming from the room)

The visual is so much better w/ the addition of the uke.

Some large corporations have learned [the hard way] how best to deal with the press. This is when they have some sort of accident or disaster and have tried to cover it up or not speak to the press. Makes it worse!

So basically the best thing is to be honest and provide information to the press as soon as you know about it.

Search the internet for handling the press, public relations disaster/accident, etc. and you will find stuff like the following…

See “Spokesperson” about 1/8 way down page…
Crisis Management and Communications

How do you cover someone who repeatedly and constantly spouts falsehoods without appearing to be hostile?

If Trump says that the moon is made of green cheese, how do you report that.

You could just report what Trump said. “Trump stated that the moon is made of green cheese.” But then people will read that and don’t know better will think that the moon is in fact made of green cheese.

You could report that other people disagree, “Trump stated that the moon is made of green cheese, a statement that scientists dispute”. But then that just appears that there is some controversy over the nature of the moon.

So you really need to say “Trump falsely stated that the Moon is made of green cheese”.

But if you do this to every other sentence he states, and don’t do it to most other pols (because they don’t make such bold faced lies) then it sounds like you are taking sides against Trump and aren’t being objective. Then voila all his followers point to a Liberal press that is unfairly hostile to Trump, and so why should they listen to your assertions that the moon is anything but Green Cheese, particularly when a moon made of cheese fits their political philosophy and Britebart news has a picture of Buzz Aldrin eating a hunk of Sage Derby.

It’s easy to contradict when there are facts, and Trump’s utterances are legion; the problem is that the press have been publishing allegations which they have not verified.

The American press is highly biased and different press organisations have different biases (q.v. Fox, Huffington Post). But they all owe a duty to the truth.

Who says they owe a duty to truth? Certainly not the law. For the most part these are for-profit companies and by law they’re more beholden to any stockholders (if publicly held) than to any truth.