Trump associates may have coordinated with Russians, according to US officials

“TRIED” TO???!!?!? WTF?

From CNN:“The FBI gathered intelligence last summer that suggests Russian operatives tried to use Trump advisers, including Carter Page, to infiltrate the Trump campaign, according to US officials.”

Bolding mine.

The impeach window is now about the size of a smart phone. :mad:

Anti-trumper journalists grasping for straws.

How would that mean impeachment for Trump? Trump should be impeached if he colluded with Russia. If, instead, Russian agents were trying to secretly penetrate into his entourage, and he was firing them as each one was exposed, that’s basically good.

From yesterday:

Wolf Blitzer: “I know that you and some of your colleagues from the Senate Intelligence Committee drove over to Langley, Virginia yesterday to CIA headquarters and you were briefed … You don’t have to provide us with any classified information, Senator, but do you believe, do you have evidence that there was in fact collusion between Trump associates and Russia during the campaign?”

Feinstein: “Not at this time”

Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

I don’t think there is evidence of collusion. That would require me to believe that a man like Putin rose to the top of the KGB by trusting ignorant blabbermouths to keep secrets.

I doubt that there was any collaborative effort to win the election. Putin was already doing everything he could to fight Hillary and Trump was picking up all the anti-Hilary stuff he could find, without encouragement.

Of course, that wouldn’t necessarily stop the Trump campaign from trying to do things to help the Russian effort, like sending over demographics data and lists of names, unsolicited. I might not believe that Putin would look for them to help, because they’re stupid. But I would believe that, because they’re stupid, they’d try to be helpful when they shouldn’t be, and that would count as collusion for me. Attempting to use a foreign nation to sabotage your enemy - whether they do so or not or even where those efforts are effective or not - is clearly an attempt to subvert the democratic process of our nation.

And while I do think that Trump and many of his advisors are stupid and occasional blabbermouths, for the amount of money bring transferred as part of the Rosneft deal, I think it’s safe to assume that ain’t no one so dumb as to blab about that, if they’re on the receiving end. And there, if it was a real deal, the goal wouldn’t be to pervert the election, it would be a deal to back out of the Ukraine or something like that. Lifting some of the sanctions on Russia is still one of the few acts that Trump has undertaken, and the earliest. It’s entirely possible that he is simply waiting out the storm before completing his obligations.

Au contraire - I’d guess that there are thousands and thousands of people who, seeing or hearing about Chaffetz, immediately think “Fuck that guy”.

Strange article. It doesn’t seem to really make a point anywhere (or ,at least, I didn’t see it). It seems more like they just wanted to share information that they had found, in the hopes that someone else knew a way to investigate it more deeply.

In summary:

The Trump campaign seems to have paid a group that has ties to Flynn and Turkey, which does media analysis for the military, during the campaign. But rather than pay them directly, they paid a venture-capital firm that is an investor in that company, so whether the money actually went to the media analysis group at all, is a question.

Ok, now what if he wasn’t firing them when the were exposed, but keeping them on even when he was told about them?

I fully support an investigation into Trump, on many different things. I was pointing out that the CNN article was stupid, nothing more and nothing less.

N/A

Hokey smokes, Trump just canned Comey.

James Comey fired.

He now needs to be deposed, questioned in depth by the FBI to learn if and how he tried to make it look like he was so clumsy and inadequate in handling these sensitive matters that he couldn’t possibly have been trying to screw up Hilliary…it was just some miscommunications, some misunderstandings, some poorly worded statements…some nauseating garbage from someone who should have had the small amount of sense to know that you have to show impartiality in political matters if you want to remain appointed to head a government intelligence agency.

After he swears to all he knows, put him into witness protection.

While I expected Comey to get into some trouble for the email misstatement (this is why professional interrogators don’t ask a question only once, we’re fallible creatures and we mess our sentences up on occasion), that’s a pretty damn small excuse to use to justify firing him. The only reason to fire him now, on that basis, is because you’ve been waiting for any possible justification to fire him.

Either Comey pissed in Session’s Wheaties (possible revenge for being forced to recuse himself from the Russian investigation? I don’t remember Comey being involved in that at all), or someone on Trump’s team is dumb enough to think that getting Comey out of the way will be sufficient to stop the other several hundred people in the FBI who are investigating him.

With the Supreme Court showdown over, I don’t see the nuclear option being deployed to allow Trump to put a puppet into the role. McConnell already snubbed him on any future talks of the filibuster being further weakened and the parties collaborated on the spending bill, ignoring all of Trump’s requests and threats.

I suspect that the FBI director position is going to sit unappointed for a goodly while, as Trump cries and shouts, trying to push some idiot into the job, and the Democrats blocking it easily. Eventually, McCabe will take the role on officially in much the same way that McMasters took over the National Security Advisor position. If you’ve done the job for long enough, everyone’s just going to accept that it’s a done deal and move on to other things.

Either you or I has a horribly erroneous understanding of the requirements to appoint a new FBI Director. Here is mine: Harry Reid eliminated the 60-vote filibuster threshold for all non-SCOTUS presidential nominees back in 2013. The Democrats can’t block shit.

You do understand that nuclear option has already been deployed and that anyone Trump appoints only needs 50 votes in the Senate, right?

BREAKING: CNN Exclusive: Subpoenas issued in FBI’s Russia investigation. Amazing timing. http://cnn.it/2ptJzgh

Subpoenas issued for Michael Flynn and his associates. Which, based on all the info that came out on Flynn, is completely unsurprising. Flynn is in trouble. Been in trouble for a while now. What’s new?

Wanna bet there are more subpoenas coming?