Truth Seekers; New Amazon TV series starring Nick Frost & Malcolm McDowell 10/30/2020 [No Spoilers]

New Comedy Horror coming to amazon Prime tomorrow. I’ve been looking forward to this since I saw it on Prime as coming soon.

The show was created by Frost & Simon Pegg. Simon will apparently have a small role in it.

It looks like there will be 8 episodes.

From the IMDB:

A team of part-time paranormal investigators use homemade gizmos to track the supernatural, sharing their adventures online. As their haunted stake outs become more terrifying they begin to uncover an unimaginable, apocalyptic conspiracy.

I’m in!

I know Pegg is the bigger draw, but even if he wasn’t in it at all, I’d still give it a go, Frost is great just by himself (like in Attack The Block, or Doctor Who, or especially Hyperdrive) and the trailer looks suitably goofy.

The show is off to a good start. We got through 3 episodes last night.

I should be watching more later tonight.

I’ve watched the first four episodes. It’s not bad, but mostly it reminds me of how good the actors were in other things (e.g. Hot Fuzz, Timewasters).

I finished the series last night. I think it was pretty strong and very entertaining and I’m looking forward to season 2.

Up to episode 3 so far, loving it.

The denouement of episode 2 really hit the feels. Frost is brilliant and warm and funny and i love him.

I’ve seen three of them and it is cute, but not as good as I hoped. I will continue to the end, though.

Finished it last night. Worth watching if you like frost and pegg, but nothing outstanding. I’ll watch more when they make more though.

I watched it last weekend.

I thought it was mildly amusing at times, but never actually funny. And I’ve liked a lot of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost’s other work (Hot Fuzz is one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen). But, humor is very subjective, so I can’t say it’s objectively unfunny, it just never rose above mildly amusing for me.

There were a few genuinely creepy moments, but I don’t think it was ever really effective as a horror show. I’m also not sure they were really going for that, and I don’t actually like horror anyway, so that was ok with me. (I do like horror-adjacent investigation and action-adventure, which this show wasn’t either, really).

The real problem I had with it is that it seemed kind of fractured and disconnected, almost like there were two different shows stitched together.

In one show, Nick Frost’s character is an avid amateur paranormal investigator. They could have done a lot with him taking himself and his crackpot homemade gadgets overly-seriously, and they did to some extent, but not really that much.

The other show seems to take over once they actually find anything truly supernatural. At that point, Nick Frost seems to playing a different character, a blasé field tech who just kind of stumbles into high strangeness and treats it as just a technical glitch he needs to fix to get the wi-fi working again. I think that actually could also have been a funny premise, if they actually did anything with it.

Instead, we get a supposedly avid paranormalist with a YouTube channel who finds definitive proof of the supernatural - and just fixes the wi-fi and then just kind of forgets about the whole literal ghost-in-the-machine bit, puts the cover back on, and then leaves.

I would also go with mildly amusing. And quite sad to see how morbidly obese Nick Frost is nowadays.

I hope Simon & friends have an intervention for him. He looks dangerously overweight. I’ve lost friends and family far too young to morbid obesity. Come on Nick, we want you around for a long time to come.

I finished the series; I liked it, but I didn’t love it. It reminded me a bit of the BBC America version of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency in terms of tone. I’ve seen a number of comedy-slash-whatever shows lately where I thought I would like it more if it were either more funny or more serious. Having said that, I thought the ending was pretty good, bringing various threads together and leaving the door open for another season.

By the way, if you want to see Samson Kayo in a hilarious show, I cannot recommend Timewasters highly enough. Just a really, really funny series.

We actually got bored with is so much, we kind of gave up. It was actually really disappointing to us. We hoped for a lot better, but:

1. The funny stuff isn’t funny enough.
  2. The X-files-ish stuff isn’t intriguing enough.

It fails on both aspects of what it is trying to do.

I just binged all 8 episodes in a row the other night.

I really did like the show but I agree with Mahaloth. For me though just being more X-Files-y would have really upped the entertainment value.

I liked the twist of the demon on fire and most of the main character’s. Especially Pegg’s. That was probably my favorite bit and now I want to know more about him and what they’re up too.

I really hope they do a season 2 and go more into what Pegg’s character was/is up to.

Another good Frost movie, besides what MrDibble mentioned is Fighting With My Family. His role isn’t that big and he’s not the main character but he’s funny and warm and also about as big as he is in this show.

I saw the news that Truth Seekers was cancelled. Very disappointing.