Truth wanted: Does DuraLube actually work?

My understanding is that in the mid-1980’s, motor oil engineering took a huge step forward and so a lot of the old remedies like Rislone or thicker oil as the car got older that may have made sense in the past no longer applied. That being said, I think Duralube and Slick50 simply thickened the oil.

Dura Lube paid 2 million in a consumer lawsuit to settle charges of deceptive and misleading ads.

Anyone that would buy this product, deserves to lose their money.

Edit - An even better link to the FTC HERE

It’s Hoilistic!

that’s oilistic.

I thought it was oileopathic.

More like oileopathetic

I use their engine treatment and it saved me. My engine burns oil, I just checked my dip stick and found not even a drop on the dip stick. I put in 2 quarts of oil. [I am grateful not stupid] My car has been running fine for a 200 Hyundai with over 150k miles on it with Dura lube in it. . A friend of mine who had a car that would shudder due to losing oil after a certain amount of time put Dura lube in it after we saw the commercial back in the 90s and wow did it work and this was in Phoenix. After quite some time with no shudder for weeks we decided to check the oil level , to our surprise there was only one drop on the dip stick. I am sold . I highly recommend using Dura lube to anyone ! Very happy ; David Aston of Magna , Utah

Aw dammit, I clicked on this because I thought it was another sex thread.

Automotive engineers actually do chemical tests on oils to measure the rate of wear - they can measure concentration of metal in the oil ! From this they can know the source of the metal as the rings, valves, bore ,head are made of different metals… and they know how much wear occurs… the wear rate …

If Duralube or other oil or oil additive was better for longevity , the engine manufacturer would specify it for their engine !

I am not a normal believer of mechanic in a can. Just to let everyone know I am not a huge gearhead but I can usally fix what is broke on my vehicles. I am a 25 year aircraft systems/avionic mechanic. This does not make me a hot shot auto mechanic though.

I am just about to lose my motor in my 2005 Chevy truck. I have a hard 185,000 miles on my motor. Alot of heavy towing done at a high speed. Within 15 minutes drive time my truck is starting to knock pretty hard. I am currently in a tight spot as far as time is concerned. I need my truck to make it another 30 days before I rebuild the motor. Out of desperation while in walmart I picked up a 8 or 10 oz bottle of Duralube. I thought what the hell cant hurt. I put it in in the parking lot and drove the 10 minutes home. To my amazment my truck had no knock! In fact it is quite enough the only thing I could hear is the injectors. It has been 9 days since I pored it in the truck and I have not heard a single knock.

Dont know for sure if this is giving me any extra time before the motor tanks but I do know it went from getting looks from people at the stop light as well as myself cringing at the sound to not making any knocking sound in 9 days. Before anyone says STP, this stuff appeared to be thinner than the oil in the truck’. Not that it really matters I run Mobile One in my truck.

Like I said dont know if it is increasing life of the motor but it sure stopped all the knocking sound in my motor without making my motor oil thick.

Just a few a observations: Airlines are not going to use anything like this to save a high time motor. We change the motor. Not really any parking lots in the sky to pull over at if there is a problem!!! Someone mentioned dealer not using so it cant be to good. Cant believe anyone could actually say that out loud with out cracking up. Why would a dealer recommend anything he is not getting a part of? My Dad used to tell me when I was a kid that some of the aftermarket things I did to my vehicles was probally not a good thing to do. His reasoning was if it was better GM would already be doing it! All I can testify about is the knock reduction but it stands to reason it is probally helping the motor. But who knows.

Interesting that every time this thread from 2002 gets resurrected it is by a poster who registers… makes one post singing the praises of DuraLube and never posts again. Coincidence?

If GM wouldn’t spend another 58 cents on an ignition switch that would prevent unwanted engine shutoff, then I doubt they would spend a dollar to increase the life of your car, let alone reduced their replacement parts business. They are the last company I’d ever trust.

Does it have coolant in it? Is the thermostat verified good? What does the temp gauge read when it starts to “knock pretty hard”? Are you running actual coolant or water?

No. This is closed.