Trying to Find a Snow Removal Device

I’m not sure of the right google terms to find what I’m looking for, so here’s hoping someone around here can help.

I’m looking for prices on snow removal machines that use heat to melt the snow. I know such things exist - Papahomie said he’s seen the maintenance guys at a local hospital using them. Basically they’re self-contained units that carry a heat source in a backpack, while the user points the heat output at the ground, clearing snow from the sidewalk without having to shovel.

I’ve tried all manner of searches using terms like “snow removal equipment heat” or “industrial snow removal equipment” and similar terms, and all I’m getting is links to trucks and tractors.

Thanks!

Sounds dangerous as hell.
What happens to all the water that results for the melting show? Can you say “ice?"

Are you sure it wasn’t just a backpack leaf blower and they were just blowing the snow away rather than melting it?

They make a product that helps with that problem.

Propane torches? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_592_592

You can get propane snow melter, but you typically carry the propane tank, not wear it on your back.

Jackpot! Thanks.

And surprisingly cheap, too!

Backpack blowtorches are out there. A neighbor uses one for weeds. Is that what you mean?

Why are these used?

I’ve quite skeptical that these things are anywhere near as effective as simply putting shovel to snow. It takes a lot of heat to melt snow and ice and it seems like you’d be standing there a lot longer than if you just scooped it up.

We had a weed burner (propane torch) growing up. I tried a few time to use it on snow and ice, it never worked like I thought it would. It just takes way to much energy to melt snow.

Same here! Works OK on [SIZE=“1”]small [/SIZE]patches of ice, but way to slow on any thing bigger than a trashcan lid sized patch.

That’s kind of what I always figured. I’ve used blow torches to melt ice off of cooling coils in freezers and never works very well. It always seems to take waaay longer then you’d think it would take for fire to melt ice.

Yeah, I have used a propane burner to get rid of weeds in cracks in concrete and asphalt. I suspect using them on snow and ice is a not-so-bright idea somebody had.

Why not ask about it in this thread : Ask the professional snow removal guy.

I don’t think this is what you had in mind, but,:
These are made just down the road from me.

Or maybe this is more like it? :wink:
(link to youtube video safe for work as long as you turn down the volume)

Be aware, that those propane torches don’t last all that long usually, no matter how well maintained. A roofer friend of mine shrugs and buys a new one every time he does a rubber roof simply because they burn themselves out fast.

My neighbor often uses his gas powered leaf blower and it works surprisingly well.

This will do the job…not sure about pricing or portability…

:smiley:

Seems like it would take a long time and you’d be left with slick ice that you would have to put chemicals on (don’t know how safe those are after runoff)… not sure melting is the most efficient way to remove snow…

I’m guessing that any bit of snow/ice that’s small enough to be melted quickly with a device like this would go even faster/easier with salt or the newfangled non-salty ice melt stuff.