Turbotax Turbosux!

I always did taxes on paper, until I began investing in MLPs and dealing with K-1s. I tried it the first year and managed to get through it alive, but the second year I got bogged down with carry overs from the prior year and gave it up. (It’s my impression that many professional accountants and tax preparers also struggle with K-1s.) TurboTax ever since.

I’ve never had problems with H&R Block’s software. It’s generally been much cheaper than TurboTax, and it’s been very user-friendly, with a minimum of upselling. I print and mail; that option is displayed prominently.

+1 on H&R Block, though I e-file. But I nearly got tripped up this year: when I had everything entered, it said I owed almost $400 instead of the usual (small) refund. I checked the forms and found that I was being dinged for not having health insurance in 2015. Turns out the default response to “Did you have health insurance in 2015?” — a question I never saw — is “No;” once I corrected that it showed the correct result.

If I had gone through the interview instead of importing last year’s return and plugging in numbers where needed, I would have been asked the question and the application would have gotten it right in the first place. Still, I think a better approach might have been to provide no default answer and catch it at the pre-filing check.