Turkish food in Washington, D.C.

We’re taking a vacation in Washington, D.C. soon.

As much as I love living in Montana, I miss all the different varieties of foods you can get in the big cities. My wife and I haven’t had Turkish food in a long, long, time–and our son has never experienced it. We’ll be staying about a half-mile from the White House.

Can anybody recommend a Turkish restaurant (or similar cuisine) that you’ve tried in that area? A hole-in-the-wall is fine, but I’d prefer a place with all the ambiance that could make it a real experience for my son.

Not specifically Turkish, but your best bet on exotic fare is Adams-Morgan, 18th St. NW from Columbia Rd to maybe four blocks south. Follow your nose.

Send an E-mail to Todd Kliman to be answered in his weekly chat:

http://www.washingtonian.com/chats/kliman/index.html

Zaytinya does some Turkish food:

Café Divan and Café Tu-o-Tu are supposedly Turkish restaurants, but I don’t know much about them.

Googling “Turkish Restaurants In Washing, D.C.” turns up
more than a half-dozen or so such restaurants (although some of them appear to be more Greek), but the longtime favaorite of many people (including me) is Nizam’s in Vienna, Va., just outside D.C. It presents truly turkish food in a turkish setting.

Rosemary’s Thyme, in Dupont Circle, does some Turkish food. http://www.rosemarysthyme.com/

If you really want a distinctively Washingtonian experience, though, why not go for Ethiopian food? I like Meskerem, in Adams Morgan, but it’s hard to go wrong here.

I’ve heard good things about Levantes, in Dupont Circle. They also apparently have a restaurant in Bethesda.

Also, while not specifically Turkish, Moby Dick’s House of Kabobs is pretty good for lunch or a light dinner.

Thanks for the ideas. I wasn’t looking for a google search (I can do that myself), but for personal recommendations. Nizam’s sounds interesting. Vienna VA would be a pretty expensive cab ride, though, wouldn’t it? I’m not planning on getting a car.

Mr. Excellent, I’m not looking for a Washingtonian experience so much as an African experience. What makes Meskerem Washingtonian rather than Ethiopian?

It’s not Turkish, but Kabab Palace in Crystal City is absurdly delicious. I may even get some tonight. It’s only a block or two off the Crystal City metro (blue/yellow lines). It’s open 24/7 and almost always has a crowd.

Vienna’s on the Metro (albeit at the end of the Orange Line).

Well, Washington is known for the size of its Ethiopian community, and the quality (and number) of its Ethiopian restaurants. I think Meskerem is one of the better ones, and you might get a kick out of the Ethiopian-style seating (padded ottoman-like seats and low tables). Dukem, over on U Street, is also popular. Note that both restaurants are in the middle of major nightlife corridors, and so driving there is inadvisible - take Metro.

More important, though - isn’t the Vienna station out in the middle of nowhere? You might technically be able to get to Vienna via Metro - but once you’re there, you need a bus, a cab, or a friend with a car.

Yeah, I should have said, probably need a cab.

There is also Meze in Adams Morgan. The food is alright. I’ve eaten brunch there and it was good. They have outdoor seating which makes for some interesting people watching.

Captain Amazing’s recommendation looks pretty good. The menu certainly looks authentic.

For some reason there aren’t that many Turkish places around as there are Lebanese places or Afghan Places. You can find them, but they aren’t thick on the ground.

There’s TurCuisine, but it’s way out in the suburbs.

If you’re going to be in D.C. and you have enough time, let us know and we can set up a Dopefest for you. We can all get together at some restaurant.

That’s an awesome idea, Wendell, but I don’t think I’ll have time this trip.

I totally love turkish food,especially "street"food.