Tuvan Throat-Singing Fans: Here's Your Chance!

I will be interviewing the Tuvan group **Alash **at the American Folk Festival (Bangor, ME) LIVE on radio station WERU (www.weru.org) / streaming on the web. etc. from approximately 1:45 to 2PM EDT, Sunday, Aug. 28.

So … what questions do you want me to ask?

Fire away :smiley:

Off-topic: I will be interviewing John Lee Hooker, JR., now a Reverend & preaching/singing gospel music – but also the blues-singing son of John Lee Hooker (Boogie Chillun & Canned Heat fame) for the ANCHORAGE PRESS :smack:

This will be a phone interview, because we live on opposite sides of the Lower 48. I last did a story for the Anchorage Daily news & saw JLHJr perform c. 2004.

Life Is Interesting!

Explain the training process! How does one become a Tuvan Throat Singer, and what is the process from novice to expert. How long does it take, what training methods are used, etc.?

I don’t have any questions, I just think throat-singing is marvelous, and want to encourage this thread and others about it :stuck_out_tongue:

I have seen Alash live, it is amazing! It seems like a very interesting culture. I have always wondered if they get sore throats after long performances.

Is any of it ever written down? Or is it all oral tradition?

Have they encountered anyone who wanted to transcribe it in the Western tradition?

Have there been any people who damaged their throat with the low guttural sounds? Does it ever at least hurt after a performance. That’s why I was told to avoid it back when I was younger and trying to add some bass to my singing range.

Do you ever do vocal rest to keep your voice in shape, so that you don’t hurt your throat? You know, no talking or singing until time to perform.

In theory could could do 3 notes at once (harmonics, fundamental, and guttural), but I rarely hear it. Is it ever done?

-Does it ever become painful?

-What happens when you have a sore throat?

-Can ANYone learn how to do it?