TV characters from different shows that you'd swear were related

Watching an old MASH* followed by an old House, I realized that Haweye Pierce and Gregory House are very similar–both excellent doctors, both addicts, both disgusted with their world. Hawkeye uses humour, while House uses sarcasm to stand there lives. I think Alan Alda should do a guest spot on House as Dr. Ben Pierce, a maternal relative of House.

I’d also love to have Fraiser and Niles show up on Boston Legal as Denny Crane’s nephews, because Denny reminds me of Martin.

There is something about Brenda Morgenstern and Marge Simpson. I can’t quite put my finger on it…

Of course you can’t. Voices are immaterial.

Molly Dodd, Ally McBeal, and John Dorian may or may not be blood relatives, but they were surely abused by the same foster parents and found the same route to escape. :smiley:

I always think of David Tutera as Jason Bateman’s gay twin.

Shaggy, from Scooby-Doo, is obviously a cousin of Jughead Jones, from The Archie Show.

I like to think that Dr. House, Dr. Cox from Scrubs and Adam from Northern Exposure are actually brothers.

And also that guy from the cartoon with the talking, sputtering, dune buggy.

In a related vein, Freddy from Scooby-Doo is clearly the brother of that guy from Jabber Jaw…who also had a guy who looked like Shaggy.

Let’s face it, Hannah Barbara had like four character models.

Not exactly the same thing, but Alan Alda appeared on ER a few years ago as a patient sufferering from Alzheimer’s disease. He was supposed to be a former professor of Kerry Weaver (and her mentor). So I imagined him as Hawkeye Pierce, who had returned to the US to become a distinguished professor of emergency and trauma medicine. (And the timing works out reasonably well; if the character was 30-35 in Korea in the early 1950s, then he would be elderly in 1999, when he appeared on ER.)

Nitpick: He was a doctor, Dr. Gabriel Lawrence, hired as an Attending Physician. But I agree that it really felt like Hawkeye many years after the war.

Speed Buggy!

And speaking of MAS*H, it’s clear that Charles Emerson Winchester is a close relative of both Frasier and Niles Crane. The producers of Frasier certainly thought so when they had David Ogden Stiers play the part of the Crane boys’ mother’s former research partner, who had all the mannerisms, character quirks and likes and dislikes of Frasier and Niles. (Except that Stiers character was gay and had never consumated his relationship with mother Crane.)

You’re thinking of Speed Buggy.

CSI: Eric Szmanda
and CSI Miami: Jonathan Togo
They sort of look alike and I’m always getting them confused. Probably because they are both third-tier characters on their respective shows.

Ditto these two:

Without a Trace: Eric Close
and Cold Case: Danny Pino
Roddy

Daria Morgendorffer and Nenene Sumiregawa

Frikkin’ eerie

That was a masterful bit of stunt casting. I’m sure many viewers noticed for years that in terms of their characters, there was a direct line between Winchester and Frasier and Niles Crane.

Anyway, since were on the subject of the relationship between characters from the Cheers/Frasier universe and other TV shows, Tony Randall’s version of Felix Unger on the TV version of The Odd Couple can also be viewed as a close relative (albeit one who had more cleanliness obsessed anal retentiveness and allergy-related sinus trouble) of the Crane brothers and Diane Chambers from Cheers (who wasn’t a neat freak but did have the same sinus problems).

And the driver in question was Tinker. It should come as no surprise that he would remind people of Shaggy – or for that matter, Alexander Cabot III. Casey Kasem provided all of their voices, after all.

I’d say that Freddy Jones more closely resembles Alan from Josie and the Pussycats.