TV episodes with (relatively) subtle movie parodies

Even more directly, the episode that featured Dustin Hoffman (credited as “Sam Etic”) playing a substitute teacher and speaking the line “Mrs. Krabapple, you’re trying to seduce me.”

Although I misread the thread title, and didn’t limit to TV.

I was just watching the Simpsons episode where Komiko marries Comic Book Guy and i knew the minute the masked shadows showed up who they where going to parody. It’s a shame though that they didn’t have parodies of Porco Rosso, Pom Poko and Nausicaa. I guess the figured they’d be too obscure.

Continuing with the Simpsons theme…They did a Raiders of the Lost Ark parody when Bart stole Homer’s penny jar…

The clip episode where Homer was in the hospital because Bart shook his beer in a paint stirrer has a One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest parody.

It was actually Bronzethumb, IIRC.

There was also a parody of Ironside (for which I can’t recall the title), and Valerie of the Dolls.

Archer does this a lot. Ok maybe its not so subtle. The best being their homage to Magnum PI’s “Did you see the sunrise?”

The Simpsons has also done The Shining (The Shinning) and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Well, every segment of the Treehouse of Horror is a parody (movie or Twilight Zone episode), so they’re in a category by themselves.

But The Simpsons have also inserted random hommage to The Birds and Psycho, in episodes that otherwise have nothing to do with Hitchcock.

They also parodied Raiders of the Lost Ark in the Mr. Plow episode when God brought forth spring and the snowmen melted like the Nazis in Raiders.
More subtly, Arrested Development had Barry (played by Henry Winkler), casually take a small jump over a beached shark, referencing the infamous Happy Days episode where The Fonz jumped over a shark on water skis.

The underrated animated show Home Movies did this consistently where either the movies being made by the kids were direct rip offs (like their version of Tommy), or episodes had plotlines from classic movies, like a take on Rear Window.

MST3K did an homage to *2001: A Space Odyssey *in Joels last episode. The mads are discussing getting rid of their temp worker as Gypsy reads their lips a la HAL 9000.

Magnum P.I. did a Raiders of the Lost Ark bit. The gag was that throughout the episode, Magnum thought the entire case was like a movie, but he just couldn’t remember which one.

They also had Winkler do the almost hair brushing in the mirror thing. And then he was replaced by Scott Baio.

And of course Selleck had to drop out of Raiders because of scheduling conflicts with Magnum.

A 2012 Simpsons episode Penny-Wiseguys had Homer Simpson in a swarm of locust, a subtle reference to the movie Day of the Locust, based on Nathanial West’s book, where the protagonist’s name is Homer Simpson (and I cannot believe it took the Simpsons writers so long to make that reference).

An episode of Pinky & The Brain spoofed The Third Man very nicely.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine parodied the Bond films at least once, with Bashir as 007 and Sisko as Blofeld on the Holodeck.

30 Rock did a Batman pastiche, with Tina Fey as the Joker and Alec Baldwin as Batman.

Which is doubly-appropriate, since The Brain’s voice is a dead-on impression of Orson Welles.

Except they actually say the name of the target out loud, revealing Abed was doing it on purpose. Community is good, but it’s about as subtle as a brick to the face.

It also includes a character reciting Eddie Quist’s “Bright Boy” lines from The Howling.