TV shows in other countries about "American cooking"

The ones most hostile to him were the “nutritionists” responsible for elementary school lunches: “It says right here on the box, ‘US Government approved’!”

My favorite cooking show will always be Graham Kerr’s The Galloping Gourmet. I was surprised to learn that it was videotaped here in Toronto, lo those many years ago.

James Martin’s American Adventure ran repeatedly in various formats on ITV here in the UK earlier this year, though I didn’t watch any of it myself. Nothing particularly original - there have been plenty of similar cookery shows about the US on British TV over the years.

Even worse. He showed them the process of getting the mechanically separated chicken; they kids were grossed out.

Then he breaded it and fried it. The kids were delighted. “Chicken nuggets!” No connection that it was made from the stuff they thought was gross just a few minutes before.:eek:

Honestly, food in the process of being prepared does look gross. And if you can’t handle that, then you have no business being in any kitchen. The mechanically-separated nuggets are nutritionally identical to his artisanal hand-cut chicken offerings.

Even with the blenderized bones? :dubious: :confused:

There’s no bones in the mix. The flesh is mechanically separated from the bones.

Jamie dumped everything in the blender, bones and all. Yeccch! :mad:

That’s just nasty, and not at all what is done commercially.

The bones get sifted out in a later stage of the process. Yes, occasionally a small piece of bone gets through, which might conceivably chip a tooth or something, but that’s very low on the list of things to worry about.

We don’t really have those here any more either. Kinda annoying.

If the bones are strained out, no problem. If ground beef isn’t considered disgusting, why should ground chicken be?

Now if Jamie had blenderized the feathers with it…

most of the food network cooking shows are either pioneer woman .barefoot contessa and trisha Yearwood everything else is on the sister “the cooking channel” station

but if you can get PBS on the net from about 9 am to 8 pm its all “how to cook” type of shows by many that used ot be on food network when it started ….

Do we have any indigenous cuisines? Well, how many we have depends on what you count as “indigenous”. ALL cuisines have roots in other places, and America is no different. As a country of immigrants, America probably has borrowed more than a lot of places, but I would consider these cuisines/dishes indigenous to various extents:

Cajun
Creole
Barbeque (in its many blessed varieties)
Many Pizzas (see above)
Low Country
Tex-Mex
California
Soul Food
Amish Desserts (God bless those Pennsylvania Dutch and their sweet teeth)
Lobster Rolls
Philly Cheesesteaks

The US has a great variety of cuisines and native dishes.

You’ve got a point. I guess if there were an “American Cooking” show on TV in, say, Italy, what kind of food would it feature?

Hamburgers and pizza with corn in it.

It would feature whatever the Italian directors and executives felt would “hook” an Italian audience. Italians obsess over ratings too. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen someone cook “American Food” as part of a “non-American” cooking show out here. If they were, it would probably be southern American food (from somewhere like New Orleans).

As a side note, I have watched American cooking shows before and have to ask: does anyone else think the hosts are super aggressive? It always feels like I’ve done something wrong and they’re lecturing me.

I know Gordon Ramsay is always yelling at someone, but it feels like he’s yelling with the audience. American hosts feel like they’re mad at me.

Maybe I’m imagining it.

I certainly hope you are, because if all those American hosts really DO believe that you personally have done something wrong… :smiley:

The only place I’ve ever seen the latter is London, England. It had tuna on it, too. Yeccch! :mad:

And here I was thinking I’d covered my tracks so well!