TV shows that lived past their expiration date

The people who are responsible for taking out and shooting the people who say things should be taken out and shot, should be taken out and shot.

Stranger

This message has been completed in an entirely different style at great expense and at the last minute. Yeeehaaa!

West Wing has had a couple of seasons that seemed forced. I enjoyed this past season. And I think the show can continue IF Jimmy Smits loses to Alan Alda. Otherwise, we’re going over the same ground.

Well, knowing the problem is half of solving it, they say. :smiley:

Don’t forget insane.

His three characters are that he’s an idiot, beyond redemption, and insane! …With an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope!

I’ll come in again.

The moment Adam Corrolla and Jimmy Kimmel left The Man Show, it tanked. The other two guys just didn’t have what made the chauvinism of the show funny.

Gr. Characteristics.

I’ll come in again…again.

I think she’s wrong about Seinfeld. It’s the only sitcom I ever watched and I loved it. It was appointment TV. Up until about season 7, that is, when it started getting really uneven. Oh, sure, it had its moments after that, most notably “The Soup Nazi” of season 7 and “The Betrayal” of season 8. On the other hand, the entire season 9 except “The Abstinence” was painful. And the finale was embarrassing.

I would have agreed with this except I’ve seen some really good episodes lately. Tonight is glurgy crap, but last week’s makeover of the nudist was great.

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned “The X-Files.”

For its first few seasons it was a terrific show, with a great pair of cops hunting down the Monster of the Week. Duchovny was perfectly cast, and Anderson was beautiful and well cast as well.

Once the alien conspiracy thing really swung into gear, the show started sucking, and the sucking got worse every year as they had to keep coming up with reasons not to answer the central question; Aliens or No Aliens? By season 6 it sucked so hard it almost sucked the entire galaxy into a singularity of suck. Poor Chris Carter really had absolutely no idea where the story was going but he had to keep putting something out there every week, and it quickly became an embarassing parody of itself.

I am concerned that this is where “Lost” is heading, and quick, but they still have time to avoid this fate.

It smacks of a columnist saying to herself, “Hmm … is anyone going to talk about this column if I don’t throw a curveball? Making 10 sensible choices is for SQUARES.”

Me neither.

Oh wait.

This message has been shot by The Shootist!

Some of the funniest episodes were shown after the death of Phil Hartman. The whole Johnny Johnson evil business man arc with Jimmy James because tried as D.B. Cooper was just plain funny. News Radio didn’t live past it’s expiration date.

Dave: “But you’re evil!”

Johnny Johnson: “That’s no excuse for poor sportsmanship.”

Marc

These are dated, but…

The Carol Burnett Show
The Brady Bunch–I believe that cousin Oliver is the original shark
Cosby Show-again with the cute kid–sure sign the show is in its death throes.
Family Ties–another cute kid! Gack!
MASH, sadly–one of the best shows ever.
I can’t believe noone here has mentioned:

ER–it was hokey and incredibly unreal in its first few seasons–but now? Pure fantasy-I cannot watch it.

The Simpsons is no longer better than 99% of the crap on TV.

Count me among those who think Buffy went past its expiration date, that date being the end of season 5.

*Frasier * should have stopped when Niles and Daphne married. About half the jokes were lost after that.

Moonlighting should have stopped when David and Maddy got together. Actually, they shouldn’t have got togrther at all.

While the series didn’t reach its true low point until Season 5 (with Dawn’s introduction and the robotic Buffy), this season turned the series from “a nice girl and her friends, fighting the undead and just trying to make it” to “Hey! Let’s throw in another completely-out-of-nowhere plot twist that barely makes sense.” The main evidence is Riley’s transformation from “nice guy that Buffy met” to “secret government agent”, and Willow becoming a lesbian despite seriously crushing on Xander and Oz during the first several seasons.

This was actually the reason I never got ‘into’ that show, despite many of my friends doing so. Somehow, even from the beginning, I could smell a non-bibled series that was never going to actually have resolution, or, as I sometimes call it, ‘Gilligan’s Island writing’. (“You know, the episode where they -almost- make it off the island, then don’t!”)

Every so often, Chris Carter painted himself into a corner and cut a hole through the wall to escape. Sometimes he took out a load-bearing element in the process.