TVAA-you don't know jackshit about mental illness

Pretty much all the old ones did. The newer atypical antipsychotics have a much lower incidence of tardive dyskinesia, but it’s a significant risk even for them. (Which any competent mental health professionial should be aware of… especially given the push to identify TD instead of ignoring it or making it worse by temporarily repressing it with a higher dose.)

Anyone that has been diagnosed with a disorder(like me) and doesn’t realize it is an EXCUSE.

Maybe I am unique, but I prefer to think that it is my problem and not a mental illness. Lots of diagnoses are for pure feel good reasons. Hey, I “played” the game for years. Get real.

Anyone that takes a diagnosis and runs with it deserves the label as a fool. The best help is the help you give yourself. I never would have dug myself out of the hole until I quite feeling sorry for myself. Some of you should certainly do the same.

** I most certainly do deny that. The question involved what I knew about the dynamics of psychotherapy – and at least in theory, therapists aren’t supposed to harm people while they’re trying to help them.

** Give the woman a cigar! Better yet, a trank dart or three!

And I haven’t told you anything about yourself or your specific disorder (whatever it may be). From the limited information you’ve given me, I can definitely tell there’s something wrong with your brain, though. :wink:

so, the fact that someone has bipolar makes it just an excuse for bad behavior. I know someone with the worst case of it, and if she isn’t on her meds, she gets very dangerous.
ADHD is a REAL disorder. Mainly, the symptons aren’t as strong in adulthood, but it’s very real. I have it and I know. I try not to use it as an excuse for anything though. YOu have to learn how to overcome the symptons of it. It’s a behavior disorder of course, so that means you can’t control at least the behavior part of it. I also feel sorry for those with anxiety disorders. I’ve had anxiety attacks and I can’t imagine having to live with that for your whole life.

There are bad diagnoses, but these disorders are for real, if you like it or not. I’m just stating what I feel.

To the contrary – there’s a great deal of interesting information. For example, there are relatively recent studies which suggest there are detectable differences between people who respond to antidepressants and those who don’t much earlier than two to six weeks, which is potentially very useful. It also suggests that people who respond to placebos behave differently, which is quite interesting.

There are some limitations of the findings, though: I don’t believe it’s been replicated much yet, it relied on a rather limited subject pool, it examined cordance rates in regions of the frontal lobes instead of individual changes, etc. But it’s neat!

Several studies have shown a definite difference in the brains of people with OCD and those without. PET scans show a marked difference in brain activity in the basal ganglia, and in particular the interaction with the orbitofrontal cortex and the anterior cingulate gyrus. These areas have been shown on imaging studies to be “hotter” and much more active in OCD sufferers than in non-OCD sufferers.

There is also a disorder known as PANDAS or Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections that you really should read up on. There is a biological marker in certain blood cells that appears to have a higher frequency of expression among children with PANDAS

The fact that a strep infection can cause symptoms of OCD, Tourette Syndrome, Trichotillomania, and ADD suggests that it is, in fact, a brain structure that is implicated in these disorders.

Add to that the very responsiveness of these disorders to selective Serotonin reuptake inhibitors suggests that serotonin uptake is obviously faulty in a sufferer of these disorders and I don’t see how one can conclude that brain biochemistry is not the root cause of said disorders. This means they are biological in nature, much like diabetes, as has been pointed out to you.

Here’s a few more articles.

If you want to take the time, might I suggest you look into the research of Dr. Michael Jenike at McLean-Harvard, Dr. Jeffrey Schwartz of UCLA and Dr. Susan Swedo.

I think we should wait and see how many times TVAA is compelled to post in this thread before we make any definitive answers.

This is the thread:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212863&perpage=50&pagenumber=3

This is the question that was put to you:

Your response was:

Zoe: I’m sorry, but I don’t see the problem. The relationship between therapist and client is governed by the same medical ethics found in the oath.

And your point is…

Calliope: that information is quite interesting; it will be educational to see how it ages. The basic problem with the OCD discoveries is that it doesn’t prove anything, really: that’s exactly what you’d expect in people who were experiencing constant impulses to do things.

Your later point is invalid: the responsiveness of those disorders to serotonin reuptake inhibitors in no way suggests that serotonin uptake is defective. Would you suggest that bipolar people are suffering from a deficiency of lithium?

My point is that you have continuously tried to imply that you have training and experience and understanding which you do not have.

What was your point in denying that you had said that when you had?

Um, no, I don’t feel sorry for myself. I simply admit I have a disorder. shrugs I can’t say I don’t. It’s a part of me, just as much as being right handed and being nearsighted are a part of me. Should I try writing with my left-hand in order to prove something? Should I get headaches from eyestrain when I refuse to wear my glasses to prove something?

Oh, and if TVAA said THIS:

Then that proves, once and for all, he REALLY doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Hello-psychiatrists DO have MDs. They have to-otherwise they’d be psychologists, dumbass.

As for you stating that mental illness doesn’t exist, well, then what exactly ARE you saying, TVAA? Because it sure looks as if that’s what you’re implying.

That’s somewhat like comparing apples to oranges, TVAA. No one really knows why lithium works to calm mania. Although, there has been speculation that lithium somehow protects brain cells from overstimulation by glutamate.

In any case, we know how SSRIs work and they do indeed keep serotonin concentration levels high enough in brain synapses. Studies do bear out that people who suffer from serotinin related disorders do have a faulty processing of this and other neurochemicals.

I forgot to add that it is well established that these disorders have a high incidence of occurrence within families and the evidence for a genetic link is quite strong. And with my daughters, who were both diagnosed before the age of 5, their symptoms go through the roof whenever they have strep throat–a residual effect, perhaps, of PANDAS. In fact, I could make money placing bets on the results of their strep tests at the doctor’s office because the symptom-disease correlation is so strong.

To claim there is no physiological syndrome happening, particularly with respect to OCD and Tourette Syndrome, is just not good science.

{Heaves a gigantic sigh before entering the fray.}

Nope. Not true. Sorry. “Therapist” is a general term that may (depending on the state, at least in the US) refer to a variety of licensed profesionals or unlicensed practitioners. Each licensed profession is overseen by its own state professional licensing board and is addressed by its own chapters of state law. In addition, members of professional organizations may adhere by choice or by law to that organization’s ethical code. Only medical professions are governed by “medical ethics,” and even these vary across medical professions.

Y’know Hentor, those were my exact thoughts way back in the ODD thread in GD’s when he started throwing around comments on Type I and Type II erors and defining them, and all the carryon about construct and content and criterion validity and the different types of reliability - I thought - this bloke is a first year psych stats student…

TVAA What has the Hippocratic Oath have to do with psychology?
I understand there may be cultural issues involved here, but in Australia psychologists are the people who use psychotherapy, certainly nothing I have read in the American literature has indicated that anything is different in the US. Psychiatrists, as medical doctors may take the Hippocratic Oath (I don’t think they actually do that here), but they don’t use psychotherapy. They use pharmacotherapy and refer patients to psychologists for psychotherapy.

And trust me, psychologists do not take any Hippocratic Oath, although they are required to abide by a strict code of ethics.

All right TVAA, I want you to stop dancing around the issue here, and answer the following simple questions:
**[ul][li]Were you educated in the medical field?[]If so, what is the level of your degree?[]If so, when did you get this degree, and in what country?[/ul]**You can’t run around the boards suggesting you’re a psychologist or psychiatrist, lending yourself some sort of faux credibility. [/li]
Spill.

I agree.

I can’t see where TVAA has suggested that anyone is faking an illness. Only that the diagnostic criteria is too vaugue and subjective, which may lead to misdiagnosis, and that the illnesses themselves are poorly understood at this point.

Am I missing something?

I hope I’m not well-done after this post :slight_smile:

TVAA:

Didn’t you say the DSM defines the criteria, not discovers it? IOW, if you have criteria A,B,C,D then by definiton, you have disease X and so on. Or are you saying that people with A,B,C,D can have disease X, Y or Z. Or are you saying that some people with disease X might have criteria E,F,G,H, which are normally associated with disease Y?