Two prisoners escape using tactis similar to Escape from Alcatraz. I predict a movie very soon.

Same thing I was thinking. This is not Edmond Dantes quietly grinding away at his wall.

I spoke with my brother-in-law who works at the prison now. All tools that could cut through that were accounted for, so it’s still a mystery how they got the tools. He thought that it was a good possibility that the tools somehow came from outside, and some of the work was done by outsiders. But they really don’t know any more right now.

I would not be surprised if they had outside help (and possible from some guards). If that is the case, then finding them quickly becomes more unlikely.

That was my first guess…maybe it wasnt so much a prison beakout as it was a break-in.

Are you smoking crack? How do you think the families of their victims feel?

I’m told there has been construction going on inside the prison. All tools are supposed to be accounted for but people get lazy.

From the pictures I’ve seen in the news, these guys seem to have had some quality tools and knew a specific route to follow. That makes me suspicious that they had some help.

As for the noise, I have my suspicions about that as well. I worked night shifts. I always stayed awake and did my job. And the prisoners on my unit knew I was awake and that kept them from trying anything.

But I’m not going to lie. There were guards who viewed an eight hour night shift as an opportunity to get seven hours of sleep. And the prisoners on their units knew that as well. Prisoners are going to know if the guard on duty doesn’t bother making his rounds. The blocks at Clinton are huge. If you’re taking a nap in your office, you’re not going to hear power tools out on the blocks if they took reasonable efforts to muffle the sounds.

Trivia : not only is “Le Trou” based on real events, but one of the actors is actually playing his own role : he was one of the guys involved in the escape.

Just from the pics, I’d say a Sawzall with metal cutting blades, a Metabo type grinder, and a impact driver or a drill with masonary bits. Not something I’d think that inmates should have access too. Otherwise, they won’t be inmates long. Cutting into steel like that is very noisy, the guards have to be deaf, unconscious, or in on it.

And a big hammer to knock stuff out.

Mods, please, please, please move this to the pit.

Please?

They left a note.

In the final scene of the film adaptation, the warden (Jon Voight) will find the note and angrily crush it in his fist.

We’re already pitting him, but so fair he hasn’t shown up, despite someone linking to it.

I just hope they catch these morons before some innocent people end up injured, or worse, from their run from justice.

You know, that was something I was wondering about. That had to be NOISY. How in hell did no one hear this and report it? Are there no guards on duty inside the cell blocks, or are they all silent video monitoring? No snitches in nearby cells? I mean … geez. You’d think someone would at least have noticed excessive sleepiness.

Maybe they did it during thunderstorms…

Warden: “Wadda you mean you were missing some tools? Did you tell anyone?”

Construction Worker: “I didn’t think it was important.”

Warden: :smack:

At the very least, you’d think that a construction worker (or the foreman for the contractor) would not want their tools (worth hundreds or thousands of dollars) to be stolen. At construction sites, I see them storing tools overnight in big, heavy steel cabinets. Something is fishy here.

I think some tools were “accidentally” left behind, for some type of gain.

All tools in the facility are supposed to be checked in and out every time they are used. This would include contractors tools. And there aren’t too many tools in the facility that could cut metal like that. But as far as my BIL reported, they don’t know of any tools that were missing so it remains a mystery.

Gov Cuomo put a $50,000 bounty for information. Its only a matter of time and these two will be hunted down. I think it’s very significant that no cars have been reported stolen or carjackings in that area. I suspect outside help engineered this prison break and left a car behind for them to use. They are probably in Canada by now. Google Map indicates its a hour and 19 minute drive to Montreal Canada.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Clinton+Correctional+Facility,+1156+Cook+Street,+Dannemora,+NY+12929/Montreal,+QC,+Canada/@45.0999602,-74.1661485,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cca4abceaa1227b:0x78144ab2b46d8a81!2m2!1d-73.720901!2d44.723284!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cc91a541c64b70d:0x654e3138211fefef!2m2!1d-73.567256!2d45.5016889

I did respond to the pit thread because I didn’t want this thread derailed. I will say here, my OP clearing states these 2 men are convicted murderers and I expressed concern for the public’s safety. I made a special point to include that in my OP. I’ve said several times in this thread they are murderers.* I do not admire them.* I’m acknowledging a brilliantly planned, non-violent prison break. Its history unfolding and will be remembered. Its all right there in that short OP. My pit response has a longer answer and I give my complete explanation.

Please don’t derail this thread. There will be upcoming news stories about the manhunt. I’d like to post updates as they develop. These men will be brought back to prison very soon.

A bizarrely racist note. Wonder if that’ll make it into the script.