Tybee island in august - what to do

My wife and i will be spending Wed-Sun on tybee island next month. We will have a car. Please give ideas for tybee and Savannah. I know its going to be humid, we arent too keen on spending lots of time away from pool/beach. Looking for must-go’s restaurants and shopping and activities. We are both fully vaxxed so we aren’t too concerned about crowds but still rather not be elbow to elbow. Thx.

You could look for bits of dead animals.

Tybee has remained more rustic than many of your typical beach towns. As my wife likes to say “It’s a lot more motel than hotel” and she likes it that way, but there’s not much in the way of high end dining or shopping. While it has always gotten excellent reviews (and therefore many critics as well), I’ve yet to have a bad meal at Sundae Cafe. Yes, it’s between and gas station and package store and yes, it’s the top rated restaurant on TripAdvisor for the island, but they’ve earned the kudos every time I’ve gone, even though it’s VERY casual.

In Savannah, there are any number of well-regarded restaurants, but we spend most of our time between River and Broughton streets. I’m a praline freak, so River Street is usually my first stop. Aside from the hard New Orleans style pralines, I’m a huge fan of loggerheads/bear claws/turtle gophers (all the same thing, but different names depending on shop). Basically a softer Texas style praline (think soft caramel), but with chopped pecans on the bottom and chocolate on the top. There are also any number of ghost or architectural tours if that is your thing.

Tybee is a very relaxed community. While definitely beach-oriented it’s not a “resort” town. It’s in an odd space of being touristy but casual about it, not quite built up with the usual array of generic tourist-oriented spots.
*Fort Pulaski is a neat little place to explore if you’re interested in history, and just a few minutes away from town. Also check out the lighthouse up by the north end of the island.
*Try a kayaking tour!
*I think the best restaurant as far as most are concerned is the Crab Shack. I haven’t been there, however, and if you’re on the south end of the island it may be a fair drive to get out there.

Since it’s only 30 mins from downtown Savannah, well, it’s easy to get back and forth if you wanted in the evening. Parking might be a bit tricky, but you can probably find something. Savannah has a lot of history & cultural attractions, so it might be worth it to just take a day and hang out there.

*Make sure to stroll around the historic squares. They’re not just empty lots - these are decorated and rather attractive. And you won’t be the only couples enjoying the night air. If you feel peckish, stop in for a snack in one of the cafes.
*A trolley tour can be fun and is a good way to take in the city as a first-time visitor. Most of them start at the Savannah Historic District., That’s an alright museum but nothing to write home about.
*The Jepson Center for the Arts has a fairly modern collection (it’s hit or miss, depending on your taste). However, admission also gets you entry to the Telfair Academy and the Owens-Thomas House & Slave Quarters, both of which are very much worth your time.
*Walk River Street! Especially in the evening, it’s fun for everyone. There’s a startling large candy store, plus art galleries, bars, restaurants, and a variety of interesting stores. make sure to stop by the Waving Girl statue, and take in the the views of the bridge and Hutchinson island.
*There are quite a few great restaurants in Savannah, so it’s more a matter of finding one that suits you. You can find everything from a casual (but delicious) barbecue stop frequented by students on a budget to coat-and-tie fine dining.

[Moderating]
Travel isn’t really an art form. Moving to IMHO.

The Crab Shack is a legitimately good meal, and full of kitschy goodness to boot. We also had a great meal at AJ’s. We went last year during Covid, so had takeout at AJs, and ate outside at the Crab Shack. Our AirBnB had plenty of amenities, so we did most of our meals there. We weren’t super comfortable with most of the fun of Savannah, but we plan on going back next year. It was a wonderful “just relax at the beach and pool” vacation location.

You could search for the bomb.

I love wandering through all the garden squares in Savannah. It’s so beautiful. The trolley ghost tours are fun, too, if you’re into that. It’s a good way to see some of the downtown architecture. Also, I believe they have a botanical gardens there somewhere, but you’d probably do just as well looking at the squares.

We were there a few weeks ago and ate at the Savannah Seafood Shack and it was delicious. We went to Leopold’s ice cream after. They have this Leopold’s special coffee that is whatever ice cream you want, topped with a shot of espresso. It was great!

There’s also a small town outside of Savannah called Sandfly. They have some great BBQ, and Wormsloe Plantation is right around there. I think they shot a few movies there because of the drive up to the house alone. I haven’t stayed on Tybee myself (we usually spend the week in Hilton Head), but I’ve heard it’s super relaxing and way more chill than HH.

Edited to add that you should go for a honey tasting at the Savannah Bee Company on Broughton I think. It was a lot of fun and I had no idea honey could come in so many different “flavors.”

The lighthouse is fun to tour and climb. We enjoyed a dolphin boat trip last time.