Type of small fortification-- name?

I spent most of election day in Mexico, and having not been there for a couple of months, I was a little taken aback by the high level of military presence.

Yes, I know there’s a huge multi-front underground war going on between the cartels, policia, local governments, small-timers, army, freakin’ nutballs, and assorted other anti-social types.

Really-- it’s like D.C. was in the mid '90’s, but I digress.

Anyways. I’ve never before been a civilian, in a non-occupied area, and had to navigate those large stacks of sandbags with an alert soldier peeking over the top and standing behind some seriously automatic rifle/head shredder on every corner. Freaked me out a bit.

So are they called “sangars”? That’s what I was told. Sounds a bit weird to me, to say “I helped a Canadian tourist cross the street, between the sangars, and on his way back to the International Bridge.”

This is nearly MPSIMS, but I really do want to know what a heavily armed one-man semi-circular stack of sandbags near a bigger fortification is called.

Don’t say “checkpoint.” :wink:

Yup. Sangar.