U.S. Cities named after Chemical Elements

Nice article, Dan. There is at least one other allotrope of oxygen besides Ozone TN. If you drive 1,100 miles WSW from Ozone TN you will arrive at Ozona TX.

I’ve always said the longest day of my life was driving east to west across Texas on I-10 in 1983. That was back in the days of the Double Nickel. Hell On Earth was 850 miles of bleak Texas at 55 mph on a hot day and no A/C in my car.

I was driving the entire length of I-10, Fla to Cal, on my return on a cross-country road trip. Very late at night, around 2AM, I crossed the LA-TX state line and soon hit the heaviest rain ever in my life (besides a monsoon in the Philippines one year). The rain was so thick and heavy I could barely see beyond the nose of my car in the dark. At times I had to crawl at 10 mph just to pick up the white lines in my headlights. That rain was something else! Welcome to Texas.

Early dawn was dry in Houston. Just keep driving, stop only for gas or nature calls. After 300 miles of I-10 I was in San Antonio, and after San Antonio it was 550 miles of NOTHINGNESS until you get to the west end of Texas, El Paso. In the middle of that nothingness is Ozona. I stopped quickly for gas and continued on, but I have always remembered that interesting name, Ozona