U.S. Cities named after Chemical Elements

I recently went on a trip to Missouri and found Lithium, Mo. on a map. Flying home, I looked at a SD map and saw Lead SD, and then found Radium, KS.

Now after several hours using Mapquest, I have a pretty full list for the U.S. I also looked in an Atlas and found Tungsten N.W.T, and Uranium City Sask in Canada. Are there any in other countries that I have missed? I have included some cities where the name is not just the element, but the element and another word such as Tellurium Creek, CO, but I have not included all such things that I found.

I particularly like the fact that it is about 60 miles from Neon, KY to Krypton, KY. Why there isnt an Argon on the road between I don’t know.

Helium Monument, TX

Lithium, MO

Boron CA
Carbon: Il, OK,ia, in, pa, wy

neon: ky

sodium: wy

Aluminum Pond, NY

Sulfur Creek, CA, US
Sulfur Creek, FL, US
Sulfur Creek, OK, US
Sulfur Creek, TX, US
Sulfur Lick, KY, US
Sulfur Mine Hill, TX, US
Sulfur Run, WV, US

Calcium, NY

Titanium Reach, NJ

Vanadium, CO, NM

Manganese, MN

Iron, IL

Cobalt, CT, ID

Nickel, LA,TX

Copper, OR

Zinc, AR

Arsenic Creek, MT, US
Arsenic Lake, CO, US
Arsenic Mountain, MT

Krypton, KY

Molybdenum Mountain, AK

Silver, TX, AR, SC

Tin City, NC,
Tin Town, MO,

Antimony, UT

Tellurium Creek, CO, US
Tellurium Lake, CO, US
Tellurium Peak, OR, US

Iodine Creek, ID, US
Iodine Lake, WI, US
Iodine Prairie, CA, US

Barium Springs, NC

Tungsten, CO, Boulder, US
Tungsten, MT, Granite, US
Tungsten, NC, Vance, US
Tungsten, NV, Pershing

Platinum, AK

Gold, PA, Potter, US
Gold, NC, Burke, US

Mercury, NV, Nye, US
Mercury, TX, McCulloch, US
Mercury, AL, Madison, US

Lead, SD

Radium, CO, Grand, US
Radium, KS, Stafford, US
Radium, MN, Marshall, US
Radium, AZ, Gila, US
Radium, TX, Jones, US
Radium, VA, Greensville, US

Uranium Peak, CO
Uranium city sask.

Salt Lake City. :smiley:

Wow, that’s cool. I’m not sure how I’d feel living in Arsenic Creek, though…

Off the top of my head:

Silver Spring, MD
Leadville, CO
Golden, CO, home of Coors (blech) brewery

There’s also Wuxi (pronounced woo-shi), China, which my guidebook says means “no tin” – apparently the place used to be a tin mine, and then was named “no tin” when the stuff ran out.

On the flip side, the element Berkelium was named for Berkley, CA.

If you live in Berkley, you can give most of your address with elements: Berkelium, Californium, Americium.

Uravan, CO (uranium and vanadium) near Vanadium, CO

Sulphur Springs, Texas
http://www.tourtexas.com/sulphursprings/sulphursprings.html

Sulphur, Louisiana

It’s not an element, but my favorite was always:

*Intercourse, PA *
I’m already planning a summer vacation there. :smiley:

Tripler
Oh the sights I could see. . .

When the IAU took the unprecedented step of naming an element after the then-living Prof. Glenn Seaborg of the Lawrence Labs in Berkeley, for a while he was the only person in the world who could write his address in chemical elements:

Seaborgium
Lawrencium
Berkelium
Californium
Americium

And there’s an Alkali Flats nearby, isn’t there? How about something with “acid” in it?

I meant American Chemical Society, of course. doh

Someone linked to this zombie thread, so I figured I’d do a bit of thread necromancy to contribute an article I wrote for Word Ways magazine way back in the 90s:

The Chemistry of Placenames (pdf)

Nitro, West Virginia is named for nitroglycerin, if the Wikipedia page is to be believed. (Not exactly what the OP is asking for, but close enough to merit mention.)

My father was born there, and I’ve visited several times over the years. Smells like a chemical factory (of which there are many in the area) most of the time.

Ironton, OH

Not quite what the OP wanted but Strontium is named after Strontian in the N.W. of Scotland, where it was first discovered and mined.

I love the way “Molybdenum Mountain, AK.” rolls off the tongue.

Silver City, NM

Nice article, Dan. There is at least one other allotrope of oxygen besides Ozone TN. If you drive 1,100 miles WSW from Ozone TN you will arrive at Ozona TX.

I’ve always said the longest day of my life was driving east to west across Texas on I-10 in 1983. That was back in the days of the Double Nickel. Hell On Earth was 850 miles of bleak Texas at 55 mph on a hot day and no A/C in my car.

I was driving the entire length of I-10, Fla to Cal, on my return on a cross-country road trip. Very late at night, around 2AM, I crossed the LA-TX state line and soon hit the heaviest rain ever in my life (besides a monsoon in the Philippines one year). The rain was so thick and heavy I could barely see beyond the nose of my car in the dark. At times I had to crawl at 10 mph just to pick up the white lines in my headlights. That rain was something else! Welcome to Texas.

Early dawn was dry in Houston. Just keep driving, stop only for gas or nature calls. After 300 miles of I-10 I was in San Antonio, and after San Antonio it was 550 miles of NOTHINGNESS until you get to the west end of Texas, El Paso. In the middle of that nothingness is Ozona. I stopped quickly for gas and continued on, but I have always remembered that interesting name, Ozona

I take issue with the inclusion of Lead, SD on this list. Lead, SD is pronounced “leed” and refers to a mining lead in general, not to the element lead.

There is a town called Leadville in Colorado which I believe is pronounced like, and named for, the element, but I’m not certain about that.