U.S. Cities named after Chemical Elements

Tin City, AK, which is not populated. Used to be a mining camp back in the day and now just has a radar site manned by a few people. I’ve been there.

Already mentioned, Leadville CO.

It’s kinda cute, you know those white oval stickers that they use in Europe to show what country the car is from? Well for whatever reason it’s getting popular in the US. People from Leadville are putting these on their cars. -> (pb)

Carbonite, CO

Plenty of “carbon” names around coal country. I assume the one in IL is Carbondale?

Alcoa, TN…sort of.

There is Iron Mountain and Iron River in MI. There is also Copper Harbor.

Brian

I love how the anti-littering slogan of Texas used to be “Don’t mess with Texas!” and then they dropped it in favor of a less jingoistic-sounding motto: “Drive clean across Texas!” Yeah no, I’d rather be reminded of all the Lone Star patriots than to be reminded that I still HAVE TO DRIVE ALMOST A THOUSAND FRIGGIN MILES ACROSS THE STATE!

There’s Carbondale, and Carbon Cliff, both in Illinois.

Galena, Illinois is named after the lead and silver alloy that was mined in the area.

“Telluride” is a word used to describe an ore containing tellurium.

Earth, Texas.

You might note that in my article, I said “Any placename with the same spelling as an element was eligible for inclusion”. How it was pronounced or whether it was actually named for the element was not a factor. Curium, Cyprus, for example, predates the naming of the element by several millennia. Didn’t bother me; I included it anyway.

Calcium, NY
Copperopolis, CA
Ironton, MN
Beryl Junction, UT

We also have uranium, neptunium, and plutonium. :smiley:

*Berkeley

Hafnium is named for Copenhagen.
Holmium is named for Stockholm.
Yttrium, Ytterbium, Erbium and Terbium are all named for Ytterby, Sweden.

Gold Bar, WA is on the way between Seattle and Stevens Pass (a ski resort, as well as a pass through the Cascades.)

Platinum, AK

Ironwood Mich
Iron Ridge, Wisconsin

White Sulphur Springs, WV

Blue Sulphur Springs
Yellow Sulphur Springs
Red Sulphur Springs
Green Sulphur Springs
Black Sulphur Springs
Gray Sulphur Springs

Salt Sulphur Springs

All of them are (or were) in southern West Virginia except for Yellow Sulphur Springs which is in nearby Virginia. Oh, Black Sulphur Springs is in Oklahoma.

What was the deal with Ytterby? Four elements named after it.

There’s a quarry outside of the town which is full of rare earth metals. There were three other elements discovered there - Thulium, Gadolinium and Holmium.